Metal detector

Mr S

Ive got a Whites as well. [emoji4] Not really used it much, mostly around the garden and once on the beach. 

Found anything interesting?

I’ve got a White’s too. Used it for finding lost pins from the digger and other implements lost in the undergrowth. Invaluable for that as it’s saved a day or twos work. Tried it around the house for perhaps two hours in two years but really need someone in the know to show me how to get the best of it.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

I’ve got a White’s too. Used it for finding lost pins from the digger and other implements lost in the undergrowth. Invaluable for that as it’s saved a day or twos work. Tried it around the house for perhaps two hours in two years but really need someone in the know to show me how to get the best of it.

What a bunch of old farts we are. :D 

• Like 2

METALDETECTORPLANET.COM

(This post may contain affiliate links. I will earn a commission at no extra cost to you.) You got a nice log. You started...

I would have thought that the main problem of operating one near a large milling machine is moving any large metal object out of range of the detector.  Easier with an Alaskan type mill but hard with a Woodmizer/ Trekkasaw type

Hi, I also use the C scope 4pi, the pulse induction type as said are designed for detecting under water or in wet sand, some years ago I researched this before buying a detector and spoke at length to the company owner and designer at C scope about the in and outs of detecting in timber.

I've found, as you might expect, it sees far better into green or wet wood...about 12" max probably but has certainly detected fence wire in fairly large butts and saved my chain when felling although mostly I use it with the Alaskan where it doesn't usually have to detect so deep....certainly saved the day many times, cheers.

I am quite keen to buy a metal detector  for some fossicking,there were quite a few Viking settlements around where I live as well as an ancient road on my place.

What Detector would you recomend?
I used to go detecting a lot. I have a late 1990s laser powermax 2 detector. Cost around £400 back then. Don't buy a cheap one. I think minelab are popular at the moment.

I've found all sorts of rubbish, bits of lead, bullets etc. But also some really interesting things. For example crotal bells, Roman broaches and most interesting for me, hammered coins, dating back to Edward the second. Finding your first hammered is a moment you will never forget

Also found an unopened condom Including silver paper wrapper dated use by 1973. You will also find lots of old ring pulls. A good detector will discriminate against ferrus metal, as it's usually junk.

I have a C Scope 4Pi for wet sand, it won't discriminate but it doesn't wander all over the shop or detect false positives when on wet sand.

The Whites I have is the Classic SL, good thing about it is that some US fella by the name of "Mr Bill" came up with a modification and it works pretty well.

METALDETECTINGFORUM.COM

I did the Mr.Bill mod!!!!! Make It or Fix It Yourself

It is a good idea to learn to set up the detector correctly, it is just another tool and the set up of the thresholds, keeping the head flat to the ground and swinging in a good arc are important to making it all come together.

Minecraft are pretty pricy and the kit is only as good as the operator.

Det.jpg