Metal detector

Mr S

Hey guys - I’ve never bothered before but the last 3 customers have asked why I don’t use a metal detector - In the past I’ve thought it puts the responsibility if you hit something back on yourself and they’re not really reliable enough to trust . Any thoughts or solutions on the uk market ? cheers

What are you doing, milling, felling???

I have three detectors as it is something to do on the beach when the old girl is glued to the tennis when we are away. All will detect to around 6-12 inches + depending on the depth of the object, size, metal and the amount of mineralisation around the object.

If you are milling, I would say it would work OK and be worth having, felling, it will detect the object around the peripheral of the trunk but not too much over 6" and as long as there is no other metal in the area. Small staples and the like, you will be down to 3-4".

My detectors are a Whites modified discriminator for dry sand and a C scope PI for working on wet sand with high mineralisation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr S said:

Hey guys - I’ve never bothered before but the last 3 customers have asked why I don’t use a metal detector - In the past I’ve thought it puts the responsibility if you hit something back on yourself and they’re not really reliable enough to trust . Any thoughts or solutions on the uk market ? cheers

What are you doing and what did you answer the last 3 customers ? ....... Oh pants , spud got in before me ?

Edited by Stubby

51 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

What Mill do you run?

It’s an autotrekk - there’s not loads of them around but there a great saw. Hitting metal is more relevant with this saw than some others because the bands are supper expensive - being stelite tipped and 4 1/2 inches wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Ive got a Whites as well. :) Not really used it much, mostly around the garden and once on the beach. 

Found anything interesting?

Around £3.20 per outing on the beach, it won't make me rich but is good escapism. 30 years ago, I used to detect in a wood that was used as a WW2 ammo dump now that was interesting, found some stuff there!

1 hour ago, Mr S said:

It’s an autotrekk - there’s not loads of them around but there a great saw. Hitting metal is more relevant with this saw than some others because the bands are supper expensive - being stelite tipped and 4 1/2 inches wide.

Did that evolve from the trekkasaw, I used one of them but it didn't have stellite tipped bands that I recall.