Doing class 2, worth it or not?

mowingjamie

Hi, I mainly do my own property development stuff now and moved away from doing ground care, but I trust your opinions on vehicles as most are in a similar situation to me. I have my b and e so can tow a trailer legally. But dont enjoy towing heavy trailers much, is it just me? 

So, doing this development work I move large quantities of soil, rubble etc and my materials I've purchased. I haven't set up a formal business doing this as I've needed to live in the property while doing the work. I own a 12ft ifor tipper but looking at the options of selling this and going for a 7.5t ot 10t tipper lorry and doing my class 2, which at some point I'll end up doing no doubt. Could I run a 7.5t easily as I'm moving my own materials and it's not technically for hire or reward. Would/should I do my CPC? Any other advice is most welcome! Cheers! Jamie.

1 hour ago, mowingjamie said:

I own a 12ft ifor tipper but looking at the options of selling this and going for a 7.5t ot 10t tipper lorry and doing my class 2, which at some point I'll end up doing no doubt. Could I run a 7.5t easily as I'm moving my own materials and it's not technically for hire or reward. Would/should I do my CPC? Any other advice is most welcome! Cheers! Jamie.

If you are using the truck for private use you will not be required to take the drivers cpc and will only need to do the driving test , if the truck is 7.5 ton or under fill in the form DVSA 75 ,the truck will then be registered tacho exempt. Over 7.5 ton and it changes a bit.

Bob

2 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

If you are using the truck for private use you will not be required to take the drivers cpc and will only need to do the driving test , if the truck is 7.5 ton or under fill in the form DVSA 75 ,the truck will then be registered tacho exempt. Over 7.5 ton and it changes a bit.

Bob

So it would be worth while to get a 7.5t rather than a 10t to keep things simple? What if I moved my ride on mower to a job with the lorry, would this  no longer be private use and now need a cpc? 

20 minutes ago, mowingjamie said:

So it would be worth while to get a 7.5t rather than a 10t to keep things simple? What if I moved my ride on mower to a job with the lorry, would this  no longer be private use and now need a cpc? 

There are a few age related permutations of 7.5 ton licences and towing eligibility, best rattle @Justme s cage for more info on that.

Bob

41 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Bob

Correct for personal use he does not need CPC. But he needs to do more than just the driving test.

Medical

Apply for provisional

pass theory test

pass hazard test

(unlike car they are done individually)

Then pass practical test.

Yes personal use tacho exempt but not need for forms till MOT time. They decide road side if you use is exempt or not forms be dammed.

39 minutes ago, mowingjamie said:

You would need CPC but not tacho if under 100km radius from base.

Initial CPC will cost you £180 for the two course & tests with us. So not a deal beaker.