Which Laptop

monkeybusiness

3 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Wouldn't ever go back to a pc again. I have a macbook and also a mac pro desktop computer which is my main machine. That is a 2009 model and never misses a beat. In fact it runs as quickly now as it did the day I first plugged it in. Try saying that about a windows pc...they generally slow to a crawl within 6 months.

No they are not cheap, but they will outlast any windows machine and give you hassle free computing for a good number of years.

I am not faced with having to replace my main machine after 11 years, not because its not performing, but bcause its so old I have updated it as high as I can. At some point soon the software is simply going to stop functioning. It owes me nothing so I can't really complain.

If you have a MacPro 5.1 with the 140.0.0.0 bios you can add a Kyro Aqua M2 on the PCie bus with a 1Tb NVME blade like Samsung EVO 970 (the first one not the Plus version) and it absolutely flies, like one o Spuds saws :scared1:

2 minutes ago, NFG said:

If you have a MacPro 5.1 with the 140.0.0.0 bios you can add a Kyro Aqua M2 on the PCie bus with a 1Tb NVME blade like Samsung EVO 970 (the first one not the Plus version) and it absolutely flies, like one o Spuds saws :scared1:

...yes?

Just now, Steve Bullman said:

geek ?

Well, sort of, but people think you can't tweak Macs much whereas the Mac Pro has masses of options, mine now has a 6core 3.46 Xeon and put a USB-C card on it as well.

Monkeybusiness posted this below and the hp model i linked to is more than up to the job,Windows is a great operating system and the only reason they get slow is people fill them up with crap and never update them,Got 2 HP models and run like a dream ? Mac books and ipads are ok if you can get used to the operating systems but never as user friendly as windows for people who are not great with using these type of devices.

Does anyone with more knowledge than me have any recommendations? It’s basically a work computer that needs to run office, be able to browse the internet etc etc.

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Wouldn't ever go back to a pc again. I have a macbook and also a mac pro desktop computer which is my main machine. That is a 2009 model and never misses a beat. In fact it runs as quickly now as it did the day I first plugged it in. Try saying that about a windows pc...they generally slow to a crawl within 6 months.

No they are not cheap, but they will outlast any windows machine and give you hassle free computing for a good number of years.

I am not faced with having to replace my main machine after 11 years, not because its not performing, but bcause its so old I have updated it as high as I can. At some point soon the software is simply going to stop functioning. It owes me nothing so I can't really complain.

2009 model for someone who runs a forum  ? steve you really are a 

download.jpg

1 minute ago, topchippyles said:

2009 model for someone who runs a forum  ? steve you really are a 

download.jpg

The MPro 5.1 is one of the best ever, it's great to see them still doing useful work. At my last job as a network admin I used Windows 2003 server as my desktop OS because it was so much better than any of the other operating systems from MS, you know like people keep cutting with Husqvana 288s.

• Like 1