Which Laptop

monkeybusiness

3 hours ago, topchippyles said:

This one below is as good as any and cracking price

HP 15.6 Inch Celeron 4GB 1TB FHD Laptop - Mauve

Rating 4.600058 out of 5

Is there any reason why these are less than half the price of the Lenovo mentioned by Dan Maynard? 

Budget wise I thought I’d have to spend somewhere between £500 and £1000, but this has opened my eyes a bit (unless the HP here is cheap for a reason)?

I had an HP, which was fairly decent, but after 3 years couldn't do much besides make a lot of noise. I replaced it with a Lenovo which was a piece of junk and lasted about a year before being irreparably useless.

After that I bought a macbook pro, which has worked absolutely perfectly for 5 years. I know it's way over spec'd for what I do with it, but it's been far better value for money against the other two... 

amazon has cheap second hand desktops....

Is there any reason why these are less than half the price of the Lenovo mentioned

One  laptop is cheap as cpu is loads slower than other....

Edited by Stere

I bought one of amazon renewed desktops about 6 month ago to replace a failed all in Lenovo and a failed jp before that both were reasonable money ad I expected more than a year or two from them. The renewed one is actually the best I’ve had, super quick, massive memory and no rubbish on it. 
One of the kids needed a desktop for uni as laptop was not powerful enough for some stuff he does, I showed him the one I got for £150 and he said similar new would be about £800. They come with twelve month warranty but you need to buy all the bits to go with it. I bought him one for Christmas with fancy big screen and wireless keyboard and mouse for less than £350 and all his tech friends are jealous. 
Think they are ex bank or government or something?

I've just bought a cheap Coda Spirit 13.3" laptop from Ebuyer, £99.95. It's not got a big hard drive or fast processor but you can fit a SSD and it's only for looking at the internet in a different room while watching telly or Youtube while fixing things and it's brilliant for that.

Wouldn't ever go back to a pc again. I have a macbook and also a mac pro desktop computer which is my main machine. That is a 2009 model and never misses a beat. In fact it runs as quickly now as it did the day I first plugged it in. Try saying that about a windows pc...they generally slow to a crawl within 6 months.

No they are not cheap, but they will outlast any windows machine and give you hassle free computing for a good number of years.

I am not faced with having to replace my main machine after 11 years, not because its not performing, but bcause its so old I have updated it as high as I can. At some point soon the software is simply going to stop functioning. It owes me nothing so I can't really complain.

• Like 1

I use my ipad pro with a add on keyboard. Bought it for photography editing as easier to carry than a laptop and since being made redundant from the sales job i lost my work supplied laptops.
Perfect for basic needs, invoicing,quotes etc. added bonus of being able to take pics, map spaces ( i do house maintenance to so the floor measuring app is brilliant) easy to send stuff over from my iphone to it etc. Get the pencil tool and it’s great for my needs.