Which Laptop

monkeybusiness

I’m going to buy a new laptop this week as mine is ancient and very very slow.

It is something I know nothing about and have zero interest in researching (I find this sort of tech quite dull I’m afraid). 

Does anyone with more knowledge than me have any recommendations? It’s basically a work computer that needs to run office, be able to browse the internet etc etc. I’ll undoubtedly end up in Curry’s being oversold a load of tosh otherwise!... 

I know there will be people suggesting ‘Get an Apple you luddite’ and that isn’t something I’m totally averse to, but aren’t they £4 million (and far far more capable than I need)? I’ve got an old iPhone which is ok, but most of the people I know who have embraced the Apple way of life are forever remortgaging their houses as they have to have the latest version of whatever new flannel the Californian geeks are peddling.

If anyone could enlighten me I’d be grateful!

We've just bought 4 Lenovo E590 laptops at work to get Windows 10 (and the old ones were pretty old), I like Lenovo because they come with less rubbish on than the HPs I've used.

We got the i5, so £619 which is £140 off if you buy direct from Lenovo

WWW.LENOVO.COM

Buy Lenovo ThinkPad E590, a Skype-certified SMB laptop with upto 13 hours of battery (RapidCharge support), delivers excellent web conferencing with HD webcam.

My opinion is spend about that much to get something that will last a few years.

Best thing is to go to an independent shop, you'll get less junk installed on it that way and they'll generally be able to better advise you. 

Apple is no better than other brands, it's just marketed differently and it doesn't run Windows. I don't know what you're using now but you'll have to upgrade to Windows 10, it can be a big change but if you get it set up for you it can basically run like older windows.

Also it's worth getting one with a disk drive so you can install old software - most new stuff, including office, is subscription based so you'll have to pay as long as you use it instead of once.

I've been Mac based since 2005 and whilst the later ones are very good, they are somewhat restricted in terms of conectivity and command a very high price. They also last rather well, the one I'm typing this on is a 2011 model and my Mac Pro I have run my small computer business on for many years is a 2009 one. I expect them both to last at least another 5 years.

So, if you want simplicity and reliability with great choice take a look at MacFinder https://macfinder.co.uk Ive several very happy clients who have purchased from them and they supplied my MacPro a few years ago.

I still use Windows XP, 7 & 2003 server, as you can run almost any version of windows on a Mac under VM Ware fusion. You can even export your old PC and run it as a virtual machine as well.

Thankfully, I will never have to use windows 10.

N

Edited by NFG

First off what are you happy to spend, I've built a lot of PCs. So finding a budget is key. 

Obs you don't need any high spec machine for the reasons you have posted. 

Most laptops are fairly similar and I would just watch out on the bloatware most companies put on these machines. 

16 minutes ago, harvey b davison said:

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm after a desktop, so I can do can drawings and also try and learn more about photography/ video editing. I asked out tech guy at work, and he said use either hp, Lenovo's or Acer in that order, but at all costs avoid Dell.

I use a laptop for 20 hours a week or more if in the office,I can tell you that a lenovo or acer are horrible to use for the simple reason they have a square edge around the outer edges of the key boards which just cut into your hands and arms unlike the hp models which are rounded and very comfortable to use 

Edited by topchippyles