Importing used Chippers from the US?

benedmonds

I think I have bought and sold close to a dozen bits of plant,trucks and chippers from all over.Its really simple to do.

Importing a model from the states thats available in the UK/Europe would be the way to go.Ask the retailer for the manual and change the stickers.

You pay far to much for chippers in the UK,spend your money wisely as they do.

I have imported quite a lot of gear from the states over the years, crates are ok for single items that need handling between place of purchase and the docks. Crates need to be made of certified timber or they may be refused at the docks ( bugs) and they are best dealt with by a freight forwarder who will slot you into some container space, they are also good for the paperwork trail. Done the shipping container thing as well including shippers own which is a kin nightmare  your own bin needs the equivalent of an MOT before its allowed in the docks or on a ship, not many second hand containers come with the plates and paperwork so if going this route make sure you get them. Upside of this is you load in the states and no one touches the contents until it arrives in your yard. Other way is get the gear to the docks and load into a container but you dont get much notice or time this end to get down there and unload. Shipping times are all hit and miss depending on weather. Typical 20` container dock to dock is about 2k ish, upside of shippers own container is they load it onto your truck and you drive off, job done.

Bob

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Will C said:

I would say yes it would need Iva as by changing the axles you had modified it’s chassis. I would lift it off it’s chassis and bolt it down to a Uk registered trailer of a suitable weight and have far less Agro/paperwork ?

This is a common sight in France, to see older chippers pre 2012 type conformity rolling on ungainly looking trailer chassis.

Stuart