Importing used Chippers from the US?

benedmonds

8 hours ago, dumper said:

Being secondhand emission regs won’t be a worry 

remember you can ce mark it just collect the data required put it in a file put the sticker on the machine you would be unlucky to have a problem

Do you think an American trailer fitted with Euro axles/lights etc will have to be sva'd or no? It will still have to be fully compliant in feed height, controls, reach distances and decals though.

I would say yes it would need Iva as by changing the axles you had modified it’s chassis. I would lift it off it’s chassis and bolt it down to a Uk registered trailer of a suitable weight and have far less Agro/paperwork ?
As to the rest of ce marking I wouldn’t be surprised by the time your done you could just buy one ready to roll from the uk agents for your choice of machine and have less stress, and better back up when it goes wrong. No dealer likes to help you out when you have bypassed them to save a grand, once you can’t get spares/info quickly the grand saved looks expensive to me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PeteB said:

Do you think an American trailer fitted with Euro axles/lights etc will have to be sva'd or no? It will still have to be fully compliant in feed height, controls, reach distances and decals though.

Would the sva depend on the age of the trailer,feed height controls and reach would need looking at but not for a sva and decals,the Americans just love a decal I would suggest most packs from any of the major chipper manufacturers could be adapted to fit if any were needed  i have always thought the yanks make the best 9 inch plus chippers if weight is removed from the equation Europeans shake themselves to bits and when you try to weld them are made of tin plate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dumper said:

Would the sva depend on the age of the trailer,feed height controls and reach would need looking at but not for a sva and decals,the Americans just love a decal I would suggest most packs from any of the major chipper manufacturers could be adapted to fit if any were needed  i have always thought the yanks make the best 9 inch plus chippers if weight is removed from the equation Europeans shake themselves to bits and when you try to weld them are made of tin plate.

Hmmm. A mate has had his 10 month old American chipper returned to the seller as the chassis was cracked. He got told that all of that model were being done as they were all cracking. 'Merican muscle!!!

1 hour ago, Will C said:

I would say yes it would need Iva as by changing the axles you had modified it’s chassis. I would lift it off it’s chassis and bolt it down to a Uk registered trailer of a suitable weight and have far less Agro/paperwork ?
As to the rest of ce marking I wouldn’t be surprised by the time your done you could just buy one ready to roll from the uk agents for your choice of machine and have less stress, and better back up when it goes wrong. No dealer likes to help you out when you have bypassed them to save a grand, once you can’t get spares/info quickly the grand saved looks expensive to me.

Yes your right if you buy new, however depending on the exchange rate the savings can be many thousands of pounds on secondhand machines there is far more choice of secondhand machines and high specification  

1 minute ago, PeteB said:

Hmmm. A mate has had his 10 month old American chipper returned to the seller as the chassis was cracked. He got told that all of that model were being done as they were all cracking. 'Merican muscle!!!

Chassis American or uk made I put my bandit 90 against your comparison model admittedly you don’t want to tow it with a Ranger or Nivara and a shit paint job they are the bad bits, nearly two tonnes twice the size of the greenmech offering  it chips all day long and also it lasts 

1 minute ago, benedmonds said:

I would rather a UK machine but there are not many about in the UK. There are loads of low hour used machines the size I want in the states and they seem good value..

It is perhaps more of a ballache then anticipated. Otherwise we would all be doing it..

Don’t be put off, I’d say there’s a nice niche for someone as most of the legwork is already done if you choose a model that’s available in Europe spec.

Do your homework and I think there could be some serious savings on kit that could last many years.

Eddie.

• Like 1

I’m with Eddie and just think a family holiday to USA/ Disney paid for by the tax man to visually inspect before purchase, Every time I have dealt with Americans they have been nothing but accommodating. The company I worked for bought a bulldozer I went to Indianapolis to see it they refused to allow me to book hotel stayed a md house two nights 

having done it I would again,