Importing used Chippers from the US?

benedmonds

7 hours ago, Watercourse management said:

My chipper is has a 20 meter exclusion zone around it because it is so dangerous just got to work out how to start it and get it on a boat to Africa a new market for used chippers.

global used to import and refurbish used bandit chippers from the USA to sell did they have a Ce mark or did they modify them to comply with current hse legislation?

Modified to comply with legislation or built for for this market, same as every other distributor of US chippers and grinders. 

I've been building special purpose factory automation for a long time, every company I have worked for has always self certified the CE marks. It's not hard if you know the the required directives, £3.5k sounds a lot but I guess you have to look them in the eye and see if they are earning the money through expertise.

3 minutes ago, Watercourse management said:

I can understand the need for a Ce mark for new equipment but this thread was started in relation to importing second hand equipment, so as used equipment does it need a Ce mark or does it need to just comply with current legislation.

It’s deemed as being new to Europe even though it’s secondhand.

Excavators, Tracked Dumpers etc flooded in at one time and companies did many varying standards of making them comply to CE Marking.

A lot of it was simply getting an English operators manual and changing all the safety decals to English.

However plenty about with a CE mark and all the warning stickers in Japanese!

Eddie.

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Most of the gear I have bought from the states has worked out a pound to the dollar by the time freight,import duties and the paper trail are paid for. So think £`s when looking at the sellers $ price.

Bob

Cheers Bob, what have you imported? was it pretty straight forward?

We did it through a plant  importer shipped a cat d6h bulldozer seller shipped to docks loaded on ro ro ship off at Liverpool I think, paid shipping and import duty collected from docks, simple just takes organising and a bank transfer do home work there are ways of minimising import duty and I think we had to pay vat but didn’t pay sales tax in USA as dealer shipped to docks 

I have heard of one supplier (not chippers though), that just wouldn't help anyone looking for spare parts for any imported machines.

I would think that you would have to ensure that it complies with all EU directives, possibly CE plate it and I'd also check spare parts supply as well as checking that your insurance people are happy with it too. I got the impression that when Orange brought in an American chipper, John Mason had a full time job getting it through CE compliance! Remember, until it is CE compliant and registered, it isn't allowed on the road, even on the way to the test centre for the SVA!

• Like 1