Announcement soon from GreenMech

PeteB

11 hours ago, GA Groundcare said:

I hope you’ve not designed and built an electric chipper over the weekend ?

Surely it would not take a rocket engineer to wire one of these up to a chipper.  This is a ready to go system that hits 130 horsepower and a whopping 213 foot pounds of torque! A big battery pack and your good to go.

19 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Surely it would not take a rocket engineer to wire one of these up to a chipper.  This is a ready to go system that hits 130 horsepower and a whopping 213 foot pounds of torque! A big battery pack and your good to go.

No doubt electric chippers will come, with that motor, battery pack, wiring etc etc you would be adding some serious costing to a 6" chipper. 

Manufactures have enough on their plates at the moment, bringing new models out, re designing existing models to meet new legislations etc let alone building an electric one for a market that currently isn't there (TP have proved that with the 175E)

Driving around most of the day in a diesel polluting transit then using an electric chipper for 1-2 hours of said day does seem a little backwards...

The next 5 years will be interesting though with innovation. The Dyson project being abandoned and not picked up by a major manufacture shows something I feel and definitely is a global set back.

The Arb / Groundcare industry is generally 10 years behind the automotive and Ag industry.

Edited by GA Groundcare

37 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

No doubt electric chippers will come, with that motor, battery pack, wiring etc etc you would be adding some serious costing to a 6" chipper. 

Manufactures have enough on their plates at the moment, bringing new models out, re designing existing models to meet new legislations etc let alone building an electric one for a market that currently isn't there (TP have proved that with the 175E)

Not sure a 6 inch chipper needs 130hp...

I know nearly nothing about engines but you could skip all the emission legislation and jump straight to electric. 

Thinking about it electric probably could work well for chippers, up to speed very quickly and they often don't actually need to run for very long in the day. The weight of the batteries should not be a major issue (if you ignore the stupid sub 750kg market.) I am sure there is a marked for councils trying to be carbon neutral...

But I agree we are probably more then a few years away..

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GA Groundcare said:

The next 5 years will be interesting though with innovation. The Dyson project being abandoned and not picked up by a major manufacture shows something I feel and definitely is a global set back.

The Arb / Groundcare industry is generally 10 years behind the automotive and Ag industry.

I didn't know Dyson had made a chipper, was it bagless?

• Haha 1