Hand held CB radios/ communication

Alright

Just had a daft idea never thought of before and never heard of anyone else doing it.

Does anyone use handheld CB radios to speak to harvester/forwarder drivers when handcutting on-sites for safety??

Everyone I've met usually just used cheapy walky talky sets, which to be fair work fine.

It's just if ur going to different jobs it means u have to walk up to the machine at end of day to charge it or take it to the next job. And machines are always miles away esp at the end of ur day.

Or yesterday I was out of sight/hearing off the forwarder driver i usually deal with but the other 1 could see me ( and in a phone dead spot,rest of site is not bad) so they had radio each other, would of been handy to be able to speak to both. 

Did have charged radios in van but couldnse be bothered with getting it at end of day as all working up a bloody steep hill, so steep harvesters right on limit

Must admit never had  owt to do with CBs before of any type. 

Do hand held work ok? Esp in about trees/hills.

It does seem a better set up than 2 way if they work

Had a quick Google before and seem to be plenty sets for about 100-150 quid, so a bit dearer than cheap 2 ways but if they were going to last and worked well still vaible

Used walkie talkie radios on a big site once.
Couldn't hear it over a saw.
Was time saving being able to call in a machine, as opposed to walking over and waving.
Only reason we stopped using them was the batteries died within a few hours.
Definitely useful in the correct circumstances.
[emoji106]

6 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Used walkie talkie radios on a big site once.
Couldn't hear it over a saw.
Was time saving being able to call in a machine, as opposed to walking over and waving.
Only reason we stopped using them was the batteries died within a few hours.
Definitely useful in the correct circumstances.
emoji106.png

Commercial grade UHF radios available nowadays are more than capable of lasting a whole shift ie 12hrs and are IP rated so weather is no issue. Most are available with headsets/boom mic built into ear defenders  too as opposed to just speaking into a mic for people in high noise areas. Make we use the most is Motorola, not cheap but absolutely bulletproof. The best option may be ex hire stuff as they are often upgrading to new kit and selling  the old stuff. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Thanks 1

Aye used proper licenced 2 ways on some bigger cutting jobs where quite a few cutters as well as on numerous shoots, hounds and estates and they work very well, most of time.

Althou I have to admit I do struggle to hear it over saws going full tilt.

Even with cheaper 1s never had a problem with batteries, most of time unless actually working with a machine it's just a simple OK every hour or so ( must admit I often do it every fill or 2 as walk back for petrol)

But those 2ways won't be picked up by a cb, or atleast I don't think so.

I'm asking about hand held a that will be picked up by  proper cb's in wagons, machines etc. As most machines wil have CBs to speak to each other as well as wagon drivers.

Would mean ur 1 handset would work on almost any site and nochasing handsets at end of shift.

I never even knew u could get such a thing till last nite.

• 4 weeks later...
google your nearest Raynet group and make contact, ask them for advice as they are generally very very switched on into what works and what doesnt as well as sensible prices to buy at.
My dad's a member of Raynet or was. He's had a full licence since before I was born. What they don't isn't worth knowing. Just like most folk on here

I have got the local Raynet number wrote down, but must admit I never like bothering folk too much.

But I will give them a bell.

The reason I want a cb is most forwarder/harvesters already have CB sets in them, so I can go on to almost any site and have contact with the operators.

And probably both/all operators on site, the other week the lad I was speaking too was on opposite side of hill, while a different driver was just below me, would off made more sense speaking to him.

So really need something comparable with cb's

With a normal 2 way u have to waste time morning/night chasing after the other handset to charge or if ur off to a different site.

Which usually means walking up a steep hill somewhere, not wot u want after a hard day.

Cheers for the replies

Edited by drinksloe