Grants In Ireland

Puffster

Anyone know anything about grants for planting trees/setting land aside for trees in Ireland? In particular hazel and other native species? 

I've several hectares of old fields that's been let go to growth and instead of clearing it down, would it be worth my while to keep it natural? 

On various websites it says its possible, just want to know how best to go about it and whether I can be retrospective in any way.

Hey,

My understanding is that you cant be retrospective in any way but in my prospective its a great way to get the land planted.

If your land is of good enough condition, you can push for whatever species you like so long as there is a chance of survival and proper forest establishment.

I would say that its up to you whether you would like to clear the existing land before establishing a forest. They will want to clear back brambles and bushes and to put in drains etc to give the new trees the best chance of thriving.

That link gives abit of advice and overview of the native woodland scheme. It might also be a idea to get a forester out to have a look and see what they would suggest. Generally forest establishment costs the landowner nothing.

hope that helps,

H

Edited by hplp

You've probably already found out about ProSilva - there's an Irish branch who publish a list of foresters who are interested in ecological forestry - they'd not only all be able to do the applications and do the plantings for you, but would give you an honest opinion on what's likely to happen if you leave it all up to nature. Where are you? 

We've accidentally ended up with a few hectares of new and old woodland in South Kerry, and are immersed in trying to understand this (to us) intoxicating new world. The government bungs seem good and generous, to an outsider's point of view.

• Like 1

I know nothing about anything. We own about 10 hectares on a couple of hills overlooking the sea that have essentially been left for about 40 years. No good for sheep or cattle, so we've left it. Used to be the fishermen used to cut the sallies for lobster pots but no longer. Anyway, its probably 60% covered now in self-seeded hazel, with some hawthorn and holly - another 15 years and it'll all be covered. Rest is cooch grass, ferns and gorse.

Can't build on it, so can't sell for plots, so would be nice to be able to get some return on it.

Thanks for the advice, will look into ProSilva. More than happy to cut it all down to let it grow again! 

6 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

You've probably already found out about ProSilva - there's an Irish branch who publish a list of foresters who are interested in ecological forestry - they'd not only all be able to do the applications and do the plantings for you, but would give you an honest opinion on what's likely to happen if you leave it all up to nature. Where are you? 

We've accidentally ended up with a few hectares of new and old woodland in South Kerry, and are immersed in trying to understand this (to us) intoxicating new world. The government bungs seem good and generous, to an outsider's point of view.

just looked at your photos in another thread, looks like a lovely spot, im down in west cork, enjoy your woodland project, carl

1 hour ago, carlos said:

just looked at your photos in another thread, looks like a lovely spot, im down in west cork, enjoy your woodland project, carl

I’m like a Mr Toad of the Trees at the

moment. Thank God we’ve spent all our money on the property, otherwise I’d have bought several tractors, a half dozen forwarding arches, two sawmills and enough winches to raise the Titanic. 
Padraig O’Tuama is coming over in the next few weeks to have a look. 
Are you in the trade, or a punter?

1 hour ago, Puffster said:

I know nothing about anything. We own about 10 hectares on a couple of hills overlooking the sea that have essentially been left for about 40 years. No good for sheep or cattle, so we've left it. Used to be the fishermen used to cut the sallies for lobster pots but no longer. Anyway, its probably 60% covered now in self-seeded hazel, with some hawthorn and holly - another 15 years and it'll all be covered. Rest is cooch grass, ferns and gorse.

Can't build on it, so can't sell for plots, so would be nice to be able to get some return on it.

Thanks for the advice, will look into ProSilva. More than happy to cut it all down to let it grow again! 

What part of the country?

8 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

I’m like a Mr Toad of the Trees at the

moment. Thank God we’ve spent all our money on the property, otherwise I’d have bought several tractors, a half dozen forwarding arches, two sawmills and enough winches to raise the Titanic. 
Padraig O’Tuama is coming over in the next few weeks to have a look. 
Are you in the trade, or a punter?

iam working as a tree surgeon, have fun, carl