Protect outdoor wood carving in winter

Rickster

Wow! So many responses and great advice, thanks to all.

Regarding the original question, how do I protect it best in winter specifically?.  Do you recommend covering it, and if so with what, or think it is best to leave uncovered but regularly oiled?  Fortunately in the South-East we have not had much frost this year, but I am sure it will come soon.

There were a few questions so will respond to them here:

Who did the carving? - Matthew Crabb

What advice did he provide - Matt suggested wood preserver and then Danish oil, he recommended re-applying the Danish Oil twice per year, we have been following this, but we did not specifically discuss the winter.  Note that this was completed in October 2018 and we do have quite a few cracks and splits, just trying to prevent too many more.

Is it really Ash - Yes 100%.

I would appreciate any further thoughts.

I used Danish oil in the past but I found that it tended to go black in some environments. It is a harder finish and does not protect against fungal attack. I still recommend Osmo extra but Rustins clear decking oils is also good. As others have stated oil helps prevent the timber drying out and reduces splitting. Ash is prone to splitting.