Protect outdoor wood carving in winter

Rickster

Hi All

Looking for some advice please.

We have a large outdoor chainsaw carving and, apart from wood preserver and Danish oil, I would like to know if there is anything else I should do to protect it from frost damage?

I have covered it with a "fleece" normally used for olive trees, etc but have had differing points of view from various non-experts on whether it is a good idea of not.

Turning to the professionals now, please advise.

Many thanks

Edited by Rickster

2 hours ago, Rickster said:

Hi All

Looking for some advice please.

We have a large outdoor chainsaw carving and, apart from wood preserver and Danish oil, I would like to know if there is anything else I should do to protect it from frost damage?

I have covered it with a "fleece" normally used for olive trees, etc but have had differing points of view from various non-experts on whether it is a good idea of not.

Turning to the professionals now, please advise.

Many thanks

Any chance of a photo?  Also if you mention what species it is this will help.

Nice carving, who did it?
Firstly, what advice did the carver offer?
If you want to keep that new, freshly carved look it needs to be oiled regularly, every 2-3months.
One of the best oils out there is Osmo, an excellent alternative is The Good Wood Oil @£50/2.5l
You can't really prevent it from cracking, it's just the tree releasing locked tentions with in the wood. As long as you don't get a massive split through a face it won't be that noticeable and will give it character.
They can also be repaired with shims of wood glued in but I would have a conversation with the artist who created it, if that is something that you wanted to discuss [emoji106]

36 minutes ago, wisewood said:

Nice carving, who did it?
Firstly, what advice did the carver offer?
If you want to keep that new, freshly carved look it needs to be oiled regularly, every 2-3months.
One of the best oils out there is Osmo, an excellent alternative is The Good Wood Oil @£50/2.5l
You can't really prevent it from cracking, it's just the tree releasing locked tentions with in the wood. As long as you don't get a massive split through a face it won't be that noticeable and will give it character.
They can also be repaired with shims of wood glued in but I would have a conversation with the artist who created it, if that is something that you wanted to discuss emoji106.png

Yeah Oil not varnish.  And yes it will crack.  And will be very difficult to stop going grey.  

Are you sure it is Ash?  

Yes, it will seal moisture in, the aim is to slow moisture movement, not stop it. If moisture moves slowly it allows the wood to move in a way that minimises stresses created as drying surface wood tries to contract above wet core wood. By going slowly the moisture in the core is drawn to the surface and the wood dries evenly, contracting more evenly, splitting less.

• Like 3