Echo and Aspen...Hello,

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

I've a Spudded 2511 which like all my other smaller saws since 2011 runs on a diet of Aspen 2 and Aspen bio chain oil.

I have a continious issue with the saw not oiling since new.

The Aspen chain oil seems to contain very fine particles which block the gauze on the filter, creating an almost wax like effect.

Fed up with changing saws for one that oils mid job and continually cleaning the tank and filter every few fills,

today, I emptied the tank, pulled out the pipe and removed the filter leaving the brass weight on the pipe.

Instantly, the bar had a good flow of oil.

I doubt the pump will block up with sawdust but I'll take care to rinse my tank when I give the saw a clean.

Any-one else experience this issue?

None of my other saws (all Stihl) have this problem.

Yesterday, I had to change saws for the 69 euro Woodstar top handle I bought from Bricodepot out of curiousity.

It often sleeps under the rear bench seats for just such an occasion.

It is one of those generic Chinesium type saws who differ in colour, brand and minute body details but are all much the same saw.

Apart from it's weight and low power, I think it a great value saw and starts in just 3 pulls after weeks of sitting on the shelf.

Stuart

Have you tried rapeseed oil?  There are a few who do and I've never read of complaints from them.

I'm not full on in the arb game by a long way but I've been running all my saws on Aspen and rapeseed oil for six or seven years now at a guess and had no problems with either.

I also use Clark Forest bio oil, never had any problems in 5 years running 6-8 different saws. Why do you think only the non Stihl saws are suffering?

I have 2 echos and they both do exactly the same but they run a filter almost like a fuel filter and it has a fine mesh so blocks easily. All my husky’s and stihls never have a issue but echo do.

Even with a clean tank and the oil nozzle wiped clean every fill the filter blocked.

Perhaps Aspen itself contains particles?

Only my 2511 suffers of all the saws.

My climbers 2511 bought from the same store at the same time gets fed cheap mineral oil and gets very much more use than my saws occasional outing, yet does not block.

Anyway, filter off so we shall see how it runs over the next few weeks.

Stuart