Your first job

SimpleSimon

12 minutes ago, SimpleSimon said:

I don't mean your first actual job, I mean for those who are sole traders or running a firm what was your first "job" that you did when you started up? Not counting subcontracting.

Connecting a new build bungalow to the original house rather than dig the road up to get on the main, problem was it was right opposite my boss' sisters house on a weekend, and I was using a water authority van.

2 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

I don't mean your first actual job, I mean for those who are sole traders or running a firm what was your first "job" that you did when you started up? Not counting subcontracting.

First job on my own was 1000mtrs of hedgelaying on local estate,followed by a hazel coppicing job,what was yours SimpleSimon?

First job on my own was for Shotton Forestry, woodland management side of BSW, the woodland manager was Mathew Rivers who went on MD at UPM tilhill and now chairman at Drax .......was a 1 mile clearance of stika spruce for new forest road at Carsphain......we just had to fell and cut into 2m lengths and stack  manually at the side.......when the road was made...timber wagons went along and lifted straight onto wagon...it was the hottest 3 weeks u could imagine........the cleggs were flying at you in battle formation..... after work every day we went to the river/stream for a swim to cool down...the water was nice and warm

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gary112 said:

First job on my own was 1000mtrs of hedgelaying on local estate,followed by a hazel coppicing job,what was yours SimpleSimon?

I'll let you know, when I've done it! 

Everything I've done so far has been subcontracting on one level or another. I'm hoping to change that this year! 

• Like 1

First on my handyman side was a electric underfloor fit, screed then lay 33sqm of wooden flooring, skirting boards etc. Still go back to them for other bits now so i guess they were happy!
Tree wise just a couple of mates houses as subby otherwise. First subby job was a 60ft euc removal

3 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

I'll let you know, when I've done it! 

Everything I've done so far has been subcontracting on one level or another. I'm hoping to change that this year! 

Fair enough,if ever i need any help i,ll message you if your interested,i,m only up the road from you

6 hours ago, slasherscot said:

First job on my own was for Shotton Forestry, woodland management side of BSW, the woodland manager was Mathew Rivers who went on MD at UPM tilhill and now chairman at Drax .......was a 1 mile clearance of stika spruce for new forest road at Carsphain......we just had to fell and cut into 2m lengths and stack  manually at the side.......when the road was made...timber wagons went along and lifted straight onto wagon...it was the hottest 3 weeks u could imagine........the cleggs were flying at you in battle formation..... after work every day we went to the river/stream for a swim to cool down...the water was nice and warm

as side note......I did my first job for Drax  the other day, done the full circle

19 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Fair enough,if ever i need any help i,ll message you if your interested,i,m only up the road from you

Thanks, I'm always interested so do message if you need an extra pair of hands for anything. Especially if you need a hand with any hedgelaying, I'm doing a one day intro course this month to get the basics but it would be great to get some practice in afterwards!

• Like 1