Self Employment Pay

Treespasser

Yes mate, had that plenty as well.

One of the best guys I worked for paid on time, was loyal, gave everyone the opportunity to do more work (obviously for more money) or go home for day rate...  He paid 20gbp per hour, on top of your day rate for anything longer than 8 hours.  We did start at 4.30 at his yard to get away round the m25 before rush hour.  If we were done And on our way by 10 ish...  we would go back and sort stuff at the yard.  

Everyone was generally happy, and did as asked.  Pay was good and some of his staff had been with him for 6plus years.

If Carlsberg did employers...

• Like 3

Yup, nice guy and had had the unfortunate pleasure of working for money grabbing twats before.

He had his faults, was a bit bonkers (aren’t we all?  ?) but he was certainly not a hypocrite...  hence, not wanting to treat his guys the way he had been treated in his career.

• Like 2

Yes mate, had that plenty as well.

One of the best guys I worked for paid on time, was loyal, gave everyone the opportunity to do more work (obviously for more money) or go home for day rate...  He paid 20gbp per hour, on top of your day rate for anything longer than 8 hours.  We did start at 4.30 at his yard to get away round the m25 before rush hour.  If we were done And on our way by 10 ish...  we would go back and sort stuff at the yard.  

Everyone was generally happy, and did as asked.  Pay was good and some of his staff had been with him for 6plus years.

If Carlsberg did employers...
Cant beat a good early start mate get cracked on and like u say if u want to do more and more money offered sound if there gunner treat u like a employee then that wasnt for me unfortunately people don't respect what effort it takes to complete jobs faster its not just hard work it's what u have to of done befor that day to gain that experience to be able to do it faster than there employee if they could of done it u wouldn't be there
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Yup, nice guy and had had the unfortunate pleasure of working for money grabbing twats before.

He had his faults, was a bit bonkers (aren’t we all?  ?) but he was certainly not a hypocrite...  hence, not wanting to treat his guys the way he had been treated in his career.

Hope he’s doing well, you always said he was really sound and a proper grafter.

• Like 1

I used to sub/climb for 1 or 2 blokes and they'd remind me of a Lenny Bruce sketch

"But ya see, I can't do it cause I do business with these assholes, and it looks bad for me, you know, ah . . . so I want somebody to do it for me, you know? So I tell you what: Here's a stick and a gun and you do it -- but wait till I'm out of the room"

You soon work out who are taking the piss

Subby climbing is great on crash bang stuff, on rigging jobs with lots of obstacles it’s a nightmare if the ground crew haven’t a clue, I would end up ditching the rigging kit and climbing way more to drop everything tiny to make it less complicated for them.

Those days were days I’d tell myself, never again.

Also following customers spec that I don’t agree with, that’s out the window too as I get older and do less.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, gdh said:

If you're on a day rate and it's not regular I think it's fair to get a full day if you finish an hour or two early but equally you shouldn't then expect more pay if you have to do another couple of hours to finish the job.

If you're able to get all your work done in half days consistently I would personally be asking for more work each day, hopefully it would prove your value and lead to more work/money in the future.

Leave it out, I work as a freelancer for one company on a day rate, I base that on a ten hour day. I worked 17 hours one day last month, you don't think I want paying more for that day?

yes it is nice to get away early or get a late start but how often does it happen when you are subbing?

4 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Leave it out, I work as a freelancer for one company on a day rate, I base that on a ten hour day. I worked 17 hours one day last month, you don't think I want paying more for that day?

yes it is nice to get away early or get a late start but how often does it happen when you are subbing?

I said a couple of hours either way. Obviously if you're doing 17 hours you would want more (although if it's a one off these things happen, I've been stuck working after breakdowns). 

I just expect a reasonable amount of give and take, it's part of being self-employed. If in doubt I bill by the hour.

• Like 1