Self Employment Pay

Treespasser

I work for a company now a mate where he lets me away the

minute the last bit hits the deck.

When all the other lads need away some days, I’ll work on and help him out.

Some days he’s paid me double and I’ve loaned him a chipper for 2 weeks no charge.

Then other times I’ve had his roof mount and crane fed chipper.

If you are making money, pass it on.

I don’t take advantage of others when they are in need.

Big companies work by the book, tree guys should stick together and help each other where they can I say.

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

I work for a company now a mate where he lets me away the

minute the last bit hits the deck.

When all the other lads need away some days, I’ll work on and help him out.

Some days he’s paid me double and I’ve loaned him a chipper for 2 weeks no charge.

Then other times I’ve had his roof mount and crane fed chipper back.

Big you are making money, pass it on.

I don’t take advantage of others when they are in need.

Big companies work by the book, tree guys should stick together and help each other where they can I say.

Unfortunately, that is such a rare quality - esp hereabouts.

Not many that can see the latent value of doing someone a favour (FOC.)  

Too often they can't see past the immediate benefit of cashing-in small scale when the opportunity arises rather than recognise the potential (whether it materialises or not) of the longer term personal relationship benefits in the future.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Too often they can't see past the immediate benefit of cashing-in small scale when the opportunity arises rather than recognise the potential (whether it materialises or not) of the longer term personal relationship benefits in the future.

Bang on again Mr Johnson, pay and be paid, or do for a turn.

• Like 1

So true Don.
You’re not paying for half a day, you’re paying for the 20 years it took to learn how to do it in half a day.
Exactly. Often see lads take 3 or 4 hrs to do a job that should take 2hrs. And indeed good lads turn a 4 hour job in to 2 or 3 hrs.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Well, I can see both sides, when I was back in the UK I had a mate with a tree company,I climbed for him sometimes, and he hired me stuff when I needed it.

He ground all my stumps on a Saturday until I bought my own grinder, and on bigger jobs I’d call him and his gang in to rattle it out, and vice versa. We never did anything FOC for each other, but if I’d screwed up a price he’d cut me some slack on his bill.

It worked well for both parties.

But on the other hand I fully understand and respect those that give no quarter and expect none in return, it’s a tough business, why help out the opposition?

Here I have nothing like that, I sub for a few landscapers from time to time, but it’s strictly business.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2020 at 18:33, Treespasser said:

I can see where you are coming from, but I'm not expecting full days pay for half a day work when the job only has half a day money on it.... I get that. It's when the employer get his job done beautifully (with a full days money on it) with a few hours to spare and then squeezes another job to make even more profit, and you get nothing to show for your efforts. Not even £5 for a pint as a good gesture.

Cheers Simon, just the reply i was looking for. Though for me the late days far outweigh the early days ?

Start up on your own then. Your too concerned about 'supposidly' how much your boss is earning. The grass isnt always greener you know

• Like 4

18 hours ago, swinny said:

Start up on your own then. Your too concerned about 'supposidly' how much your boss is earning. The grass isnt always greener you know

He already has set up - he hires out his services as a climber, same as any tradesman. He may not run what is considered a complete tree surgery outfit, of pricing the entire job etc, but he has a legitimate business, paying tax on earnings etc. I think the op. is trying to establish the boundaries, maybe so he can put it to the companies he subs to so everyone knows where they stand. He obviously feels he's not getting an even part of the deal. In hindsight, it would all have been agreed before working for company x,y and z, but things are rarely that clear cut and things have to be negotiated as things change. He's just looking for advice - he doesn't need to throw it in as a subbie climber. It's a legitimate roll in this industry.