When someone else gets the work..

William Clifford

Local school asked me to quote on their woodland and school trees.
33 mature trees to deadwood and several removals.
Caretaker told me best quote was £850.
I just laughed, told him it was impossible.
I'd want 2.5-3k.
I'll see him next week and have a look at the work.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, peatff said:

No it would be cronyism or nepotism, the exact opposite of conflict of interest :D

conflict of interest
noun

1. a situation in which the concerns or aims of two different parties are incompatible.
    "the conflict of interest between elected officials and corporate lobbyists"
    • a situation in which a person is in a position to derive personal benefit from actions or decisions made in their official capacity.
      "Watson quit his job after questions about a possible conflict of interest"

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Surely because that would be a conflict of interest? 

What happens is, I submit a price, the clerk gets at least two more, then the council decides them at the end of a meeting, when the press and public are excluded, and that includes me. It's done in sealed envelopes, and the clerk does not reveal the name of the company until they have agreed which quite to use! I have to leave the room. In fact I just go home and let them decide. It's all above board, but a few villagers are up in arms about me pricing the work, even though not one of them has any interest in the job!

• Like 1

Just now, dig-dug-dan said:

What happens is, I submit a price, the clerk gets at least two more, then the council decides them at the end of a meeting, when the press and public are excluded, and that includes me. It's done in sealed envelopes, and the clerk does not reveal the name of the company until they have agreed which quite to use! I have to leave the room. In fact I just go home and let them decide. It's all above board, but a few villagers are up in arms about me pricing the work, even though not one of them has any interest in the job!

Id be up in arms too. I'd be furious if the Chairman of the PC was winning contracts for the PC regardless if it was above board or not. If the other members where your mates they could easily swing it for you. The room for dishonesty is far to wide, even if its not happening. In my mind you have had to make a choice of which one you want to be. Chairman or Tree Surgeon. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Id be up in arms too. I'd be furious if the Chairman of the PC was winning contracts for the PC regardless if it was above board or not. If the other members where your mates they could easily swing it for you. The room for dishonesty is far to wide, even if its not happening. In my mind you have had to make a choice of which one you want to be. Chairman or Tree Surgeon. 

Bit harsh. Why cant I do both( actually I am landscaper and plant hirer as well as tree surgery)

Being a parish councillor is a volunteer job, and I do it because I want to represent the local parish and look after the locals interests. I do massive amount of stuff unpaid, such as fixing gate posts, clearing overgrown areas, dealing with fly tipping, cutting back overhanging trees, fallen branches, litter, all unpaid.

I don't do it to get work out of it

• Like 6