How/where do you dispose of old fencing

SimpleSimon

5 minutes ago, doobin said:

Probably 50% of companies burn this sort of thing at their yard or pay a farmer. It's certainly not a level playing field.

It's very frustrating, around here there are a lot of jack of all trade type "companies" with transit tippers doing trees, landscapes, driveways, etc. etc. I don't consider the amount of fly tipping we see to be a coincidence! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SimpleSimon said:

It's very frustrating, around here there are a lot of jack of all trade type "companies" with transit tippers doing trees, landscapes, driveways, etc. etc. I don't consider the amount of fly tipping we see to be a coincidence! 

A lot of Stourports fly tippers come our way,and dump there tree waste from their "tree work",as they call it,and thats not getting at you in any way at all Simon,its good to see your doing it the right way

• Like 1

There is a commercial composting place near us who charge for mixed green waste but have separate bays for chip, logs and fence panels which are free to tip in so you might find somewhere between ringing round. I think the fencing gets sold for biomass, it has a certain (low) value I guess.

Don’t think there’s any mileage in accepting rotten strainers and posts to burn in my biomass as all the local farmers bundle it up next to their newly erected fencing and set light to it. The only people up here likely to take the like to recycling are town folk.

Our local waste transfer station is £114 for up to 1000kg of timber which is a lot of panels from normal domestic type of fencing. Timber posts can have the rotten bits cut off and the decent timber put onto freecycle, freegle or similar- someone will usually want to collect to re use them.

i put a separate amount on quotes for waste disposal ie 6 bays would be £50 - £80 of straightforward replacement. 
4-5 jobs is a truckload so costs/time are covered.

customers seem to appreciate knowing waste is disposed of correctly. Soil/hardcore go elsewhere as cheaper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Up in northumberland a transit full is over 120 quid at recycling company, if it has ivy on it is classed as mixed waste and even dearer. Any treated wood cannot be recycled for biomass pellets or anything else that involves burning, ( I may be wrong but am sure I read that during an extensive search).

It all goes to landfill. 

I have tol dcustomers now that waste is a massive cost and pass it on but the flytippers end up getting lots of jobs just by leafletting( with official looking companies0 who arent registered.

• Like 3