Laylandi price

Paul Tomo

Thanks for all the very constructive feedback and you have given me lots to think about and plus I have made many notes on how I will price up the next tree job. I now have a structural plan planned out which will help when pricing up.

the price I gave the customer was £500 and if I be honest with you, when I gave him the price his first words was  “I didn’t think it was going to be as much has that” which this left me thinking he was not going to have the job done.

At the moment I’ve got no choice but to keep on using my van and trailer and until I can afford a truck and chipper I’ll keep saving and working hard to do so. I will take on board all the advice and information given to me by your good selves and I’m very much appreciated for all the advice given.

Thanks Paul 

• Like 5

Just my 2p... I dont see how you can charge for half a day, unless you know for sure you have another job that you can charge for the other half.

Yes but that should be the companys problem not the customers. Its not fair to charge the client for 8 hours work when you have only done 4. If its 6 or 7 hours work then fair enough, charge for a day but not for half a day.

27 minutes ago, Marc Lewis said:
On 06/01/2020 at 23:24, adrian007 said:
Just my 2p... I dont see how you can charge for half a day, unless you know for sure you have another job that you can charge for the other half.

Yes but that should be the companys problem not the customers. Its not fair to charge the client for 8 hours work when you have only done 4. If its 6 or 7 hours work then fair enough, charge for a day but not for half a day.

You don’t charge for 8 hours work, you charge to do the job.

• Like 6

No. You may be asked for HIP insurance, (hired in plant) - this may or may not be covered under your public liability. However several of my local plant hire  companies just lock up about £500 on your card instead. (Don't think they actually take the money, just its"spoken for") Prices will vary but local to me you can get a 6" Forst for £120 a day plus HIP and Vat. Some will charge you a sharpening fee of 20 quid or so, I don't usually get charged this as I look after their machines and don't put metal or gravel through them. 

There is a chipper ticket under Lantra I believe, not done it myself, learn't ont job as it were. Probably some of the bigger companies on here have to have them as part of their insurance, however I believe if you are competent you will be fine. If you have never used a chipper it would be worth looking at doing a course, or when you next do a job, contact a smaller local tree surgeon, get him to do the job at a day rate with your assistance and learn from him.

Edited by HuntingHicap
Added some bits.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, HuntingHicap said:

No. You may be asked for HIP insurance, (hired in plant) - this may or may not be covered under your public liability. However several of my local plant hire  companies just lock up about £500 on your card instead. (Don't think they actually take the money, just its"spoken for") Prices will vary but local to me you can get a 6" Forst for £120 a day plus HIP and Vat. Some will charge you a sharpening fee of 20 quid or so, I don't usually get charged this as I look after their machines and don't put metal or gravel through them. 

There is a chipper ticket under Lantra I believe, not done it myself, learn't ont job as it were. Probably some of the bigger companies on here have to have them as part of their insurance, however I believe if you are competent you will be fine. If you have never used a chipper it would be worth looking at doing a course, or when you next do a job, contact a smaller local tree surgeon, get him to do the job at a day rate with your assistance and learn from him.

Thanks for the feed back,

I'm doing another arb course in February and while I'm down their doing the Arb course I was wondering whether it was worth adding a wood chipper course to my qualifications and learning the right way on how to use one.

I think its worth doing while I'm down there to be honest.

Doing a woodchipper ticket is another b******t ticket. Unless you're a complete donkey it takes about 10 minutes to learn to operate one - it's like doing a course to learn to operate a lawnmower (which I'm sure they'll invent if they haven't already). I've had to do one twice (Lantra only lasts 5 years if I remember right) as it was insisted on to get on some sites. If I ran that course I'd be embaresed charging hundreds of £££'s for a day they struggle to fill. Even if you strip the machine down, it's half a day. If you don't have the chance to learn on the job, doing the course might give you more confidence, but don't expect to come away thinking it was money well spent.