Laylandi price

Paul Tomo

On 06/01/2020 at 21:12, 5 shires said:

You price the job according to your capabilities and equipment....if you got a van and trailer and you making tip trips then your a mug if only quoting £450/£550...that is a 2 Man job and Chipper done in a day even logging up £650 done and home.

I appreciate very much in what you are saying and I’m very grateful for your constructive feedback and the feedback is very much food for thought. I’m really a one man op and I do very well most of the time working on my own and sometimes I will have help from my son. I have a ford transit connect and a 8x5 trailer with about 18inch sides, I have no chipper to use. Hopefully by the end of the year I will have a truck and chipper.

I will say that this job will run into two days, Although I know it’s a full one days job for a more experienced arborist I’m not in a rush to get it done in one day, I’m still learning the trade has a arborist.

thanks Paul 

15 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

I appreciate very much in what you are saying and I’m very grateful for your constructive feedback and the feedback is very much food for thought. I’m really a one man op and I do very well most of the time working on my own and sometimes I will have help from my son. I have a ford transit connect and a 8x5 trailer with about 18inch sides, I have no chipper to use. Hopefully by the end of the year I will have a truck and chipper.

I will say that this job will run into two days, Although I know it’s a full one days job for a more experienced arborist I’m not in a rush to get it done in one day, I’m still learning the trade has a arborist.

thanks Paul 

Hi Paul please don’t think I was being down on you and making it sound like your underpricing yourself.like I said previously we all have our own way of pricking and we we all charged the same none of us would get much work.

Its really quite simple,you charge what you feel comfortable with and the margin of profit suits you and your happy with it.

i guarantee most guys on here started exactly like you have with a van mineable tools etc(Did you read all my previous posts?) 

Anyway good luck with your new venture and am sure you’ll be fine,all the very best.

wayne

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5 shires said:

Hi Paul please don’t think I was being down on you and making it sound like your underpricing yourself.like I said previously we all have our own way of pricking and we we all charged the same none of us would get much work.

Its really quite simple,you charge what you feel comfortable with and the margin of profit suits you and your happy with it.

i guarantee most guys on here started exactly like you have with a van mineable tools etc(Did you read all my previous posts?) 

Anyway good luck with your new venture and am sure you’ll be fine,all the very best.

wayne

Thanks Wayne, I’ve read all your post and I know your not bringing me down, I’m very grateful for your feedback and your help on this post. When people are honest like yourself in helping people to make progress in building a business up then I’m for sure am very grateful for your help and advice. 

Cheers Paul

2 minutes ago, Paul Tomo said:

Thanks Wayne, I’ve read all your post and I know your not bringing me down, I’m very grateful for your feedback and your help on this post. When people are honest like yourself in helping people to make progress in building a business up then I’m for sure am very grateful for your help and advice. 

Cheers Paul

?

Reading this a thought ocured to me, but I am no expert here. As a new start your costs are ging to be lower so perhaps you can afford to spend more time on a job but charge the same.

For example, a second hand van and trailer for start up, but upgrading later as you get better finances - but buying or leasing a new van is going to cost more than buying a second hand van (as an example). Similarly the amount of kit you own will be less.. you have less invested in the business and it owes you less to make a profit. Buy a chipper and suddenly you will need to thnk about replacing it and putting money aside for another and probably better model, you now need to save for a new van, new trailer, new chipper, new saws and so on. New start just needs to save for van and saws.

Again why? Ben please don’t think am being funny cause it’s not in my make up but I did just say we all have our own way of pricing work,I personally price the job and how long I think it will take etc obviously comes into it...but at the end of the day a tree is a tree and apart from how long it takes to remove it will very it still takes the same amount of time to get it down.this particular tree has 2 options but because one option is drop it close and the other option is to drag it 100yrds why mess about with the price,option A same money job easier option B same money takes slightly longer but in each case it’s still good money for either scenario..that’s my way of thinking and it works for me and most importantly as long as the client is happy with the price and agrees it really doesn’t matter.

I agree. You’re being paid for the fact you have the equipment and skills to do a job that the customer doesn’t. How long it takes is irrelevant as long as the customer is happy with the price. I personally price for what I think the job will be, plus a bit extra for “buggerage” when something unexpected crops up on some jobs and they over run. I’d rather know if I over run I’m still going to turn a profit, otherwise you’re basically paying the customer for the privilege of doing a job for them. I learned that lesson very early on.
  • Like 2

I get that you don't want to hire a chipper, it's money out and if you have more time than work it makes sense to watch outgoings.

Again without seeing it up close difficult to be sure but I would not be surprised if you have 3 loads of branches even after stacking and cutting them down.

Two things I missed thinking about before buying a chipper were the time saving against all that faffing about stacking the trailer, and the fact that branches are something which you have to pay to tip - whereas woodchip is useful to people and you can tip it for free.

So my chipper saves me time, journeys because it all fits in one load, and tip fees. Depending on distances and fees this may add up to the chipper hire being quite cheap if you can get a CS100 for say £75.

I also have to admit that my experience of hire was bad, blunt and bad maintenance, if there's not a good place nearby then it may just not be viable.

• Like 1

I would like to update you all in the progress and the outcome of the pricing up of this Laylandi tree removal. I have given the customer a price for the removal of Laylandi and the trunks being cut into logs and left for the costumer's own use and the removal of all the brash. 

As for the pricing of the job and the price I gave to the customer, which I did take into account all the advice you have gave me.  I phoned the customer with a price and he said he would give me a call back within a few days to say whether he wanted the job doing or not.

I have since received a call from the customer and he don't want the job doing, he has not given me a reason why.

I know you win some and you lose some but the less I lose the more my buisness will grow. 

Thanks Paul

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paul Tomo said:

I would like to update you all in the progress and the outcome of the pricing up of this Laylandi tree removal. I have given the customer a price for the removal of Laylandi and the trunks being cut into logs and left for the costumer's own use and the removal of all the brash. 

As for the pricing of the job and the price I gave to the customer, which I did take into account all the advice you have gave me.  I phoned the customer with a price and he said he would give me a call back within a few days to say whether he wanted the job doing or not.

I have since received a call from the customer and he don't want the job doing, he has not given me a reason why.

I know you win some and you lose some but the less I lose the more my buisness will grow. 

Thanks Paul

Paul there could be a number of reasons why you didn’t get the job and obviously price is a big factor but also sometimes clients (meaning the general public) do not have a clue how much this type of work costs and the amount of work involved.

you could have halved your price and still not have got her job,I did a landscaping job last year and when I sent in a itemised quote in saying a ton of building sand costs £40 the customer said he thought a ton of sand was £5 they just don’t have a clue.

so what i’am saying is don’t change your pricing structure it’s just as you say,win some lose some.if you worry about that you were to exspenive and lower your price you will always be second guessing if your quotations are correct,just put a price in and stick to it unless they come back and ask how much for cash in that case you can decide what is the best cash price you can do.

• Like 4

Most firms would have walked in there, looked at the access and the tree and given a price in 45 seconds.

You couldn’t compete with a firm with a 6” chipper and tipper.

I would venture that the client realised you were out of your depth fairly early on in the process.

Keep going though, a chipper is first on you list to buy.

• Like 3