Laylandi price

Paul Tomo

I know its very hard to get the pricing right on jobs when you start,but look at it like this.

Distance to trailer 100m

Required number of drags 50

Distance covered 10,000meters :50 drags x 100m,x2

Average walking speed 5kmph

Time spent dragging 2 hours,not including picking it up or stacking it.

So for one man thats 25% of your day gone in just moving it.

Also stipulate what minimum diameter you are going to log down to,or you may well end up doing as much extra work as dragging since you have to "skin" all the fluff off the smaller branches and take that too.

If you have a place to tip for free,consider just hiring a skip and chucking it all in that.Then you wont have to make multiple trips or cut the branches up.Just call the lorry when you can see the end of the job and wave it goodbye when you are cleaning up.

If you've been trading for years and have a solid client base you can afford to throw big quotes at jobs and risk losing them but if you're starting out you need to win as many jobs as possible - but that doesn't mean throwing in a low quote. You have to try and weigh up how to do the job as efficiently as possible. An experienced 2 man team might smash it out in a day whereas a novice climber might take 1 1/2 days, so are you better paying for an experienced climber especially if you hire a chipper for a day. Its all a conjuring act. But costs aside you also have to consider what a job is worth to you. For instance, it may take you the same amount of time to dismantle a dead tree compared to a live one, but you'd want to charge more for the dead tree because of the extra risk. Personally I always throw a high price at conifers just because I hate doing them - they're just bulk to get rid of and not particularly pleasant to climb and they're always twice as wide as you thought and doubled in size since you quoted. And you'll have to re-home a poor pigeon.

3 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

I know its very hard to get the pricing right on jobs when you start,but look at it like this.

Distance to trailer 100m

Required number of drags 50

Distance covered 10,000meters :50 drags x 100m,x2

Average walking speed 5kmph

Time spent dragging 2 hours,not including picking it up or stacking it.

So for one man thats 25% of your day gone in just moving it.

Also stipulate what minimum diameter you are going to log down to,or you may well end up doing as much extra work as dragging since you have to "skin" all the fluff off the smaller branches and take that too.

If you have a place to tip for free,consider just hiring a skip and chucking it all in that.Then you wont have to make multiple trips or cut the branches up.Just call the lorry when you can see the end of the job and wave it goodbye when you are cleaning up.

Mike that’s far to many numbers and to complicated for me,I keep it simple as explained in my previous quotes.

We all have our own way of quoting and we all win some and lose some but I have never and will never over price a job just to lose it for what ever reason.

As the job poster has said we all starte of at the bottom with an old van a a shity old Unarmed chainsaw and worked our way up.

The difference now is social media such as Arbtalk were these start ups can seek and ask for help from guys who have been in the business for many years and don’t mind passing on hard earned many years advise we’re in my start of days it was learn on the job and from your mistakes.

We have given our advise be it in many different ways and views.

At the end of the day my price for that job is based on what I know i’am capable of doing with the gear I have got and my method of work.

I know I could crack that job out in a day wish in winter starts at 8am on site 8.30 start and got a window till 4 for tree to be down and chipped and work areas cleared by 4.30.

£650 2 Man Team done.

if you are a one man business just starting out with a van and having to make tip trips etc and novice climber that job will take you 2 days plus,so do you charge the same or more?? 

Lots of factors come into play but am sure for 2 days it would and should be more then £650.

Edited by 5 shires

17 hours ago, 5 shires said:

Mike that’s far to many numbers and to complicated for me,I keep it simple as explained in my previous quotes.

We all have our own way of quoting and we all win some and lose some but I have never and will never over price a job just to lose it for what ever reason.

As the job poster has said we all starte of at the bottom with an old van a a shity old Unarmed chainsaw and worked our way up.

The difference now is social media such as Arbtalk were these start ups can seek and ask for help from guys who have been in the business for many years and don’t mind passing on hard earned many years advise we’re in my start of days it was learn on the job and from your mistakes.

We have given our advise be it in many different ways and views.

At the end of the day my price for that job is based on what I know i’am capable of doing with the gear I have got and my method of work.

I know I could crack that job out in a day wish in winter starts at 8am on site 8.30 start and got a window till 4 for tree to be down and chipped and work areas cleared by 4.30.

£650 2 Man Team done.

if you are a one man business just starting out with a van and having to make tip trips etc and novice climber that job will take you 2 days plus,so do you charge the same or more?? 

Lots of factors come into play but am sure for 2 days it would and should be more then £650.

I don't get how you can price the job to remove the tree, access to the base of the tree, no drag etc...  the same as if there was a 100metre drag involved?

Unless, you price it based on the worst scenario of the long drag and then you as a company, benefit from the time taken if you can get right under it.

However, your posts read that you price for the tree to come down.  Regardless of the area, how close you can get the chipper etc.

I personally price the job.  i.e. a tree needs to be removed.  It might take me 2 hours to get it all down and then the rest of the day to remove said tree, clean up the site and get on the road.

By your explanation, you would charge for the 2 hours, where as I would charge for 8 and include extra costs like bodies to help drag, rig or whatever needs doing.

As for the OP, Leylandii WILL have more in there that you expected.  That is a guarantee.  Get in there and have a look see at the pricing stage.  It might help but I have seen them underestimated countless times.

Good luck.

• Like 5

Costing for quotations can be tricky from time to time especially if your starting out, though I do not understand the half a day costing, that doesn't work for me as at all.

If my guys were told they were only getting half a days pay there would be an uprising & I wouldn't have any staff!! 

All very well if theres two or more decent paying smaller jobs in one day or you employ staff full-time maybe??