Laylandi price

Paul Tomo

5 minutes ago, IVECOKID said:

Simple logic to why you did not get this job.....client had a budget of £150 ....simple,move on and learn .

Stephen 

Not necessarily, in this case it is just as likely the client thought: "this chap doesn't know what he is doing, I will get a professional"  (no offence intended Paul). 

While in many (most) instances price is the main factor it is not always. We often have clients who tell us we were not the cheapest quote, but we were; the most professional looking, trusted us, had been recommended by a friend, didn't like the other guy etc.. 

Also he could have priced too low.. If you get 3 quotes 2 are similar and one is way lower you are going to think something is wrong with the cheap one..

• Like 1

All what has been said is all relevant and we all know how it works in putting quotes in and pricing work but only from experience and years of doing all kinds of different jobs,it’s not rocket science as far as pricing goes but it is the most important part of any business and crucial not to get it wrong on to many occasions.He has lost this job for what ever reason but it’s all a learning curve and like has been said just keep going and you’ll be fine,jus tdont under value yourself?

• Like 1

I would like to update you all in the progress and the outcome of the pricing up of this Laylandi tree removal. I have given the customer a price for the removal of Laylandi and the trunks being cut into logs and left for the costumer's own use and the removal of all the brash. 
As for the pricing of the job and the price I gave to the customer, which I did take into account all the advice you have gave me.  I phoned the customer with a price and he said he would give me a call back within a few days to say whether he wanted the job doing or not.
I have since received a call from the customer and he don't want the job doing, he has not given me a reason why.
I know you win some and you lose some but the less I lose the more my buisness will grow. 
Thanks Paul

If you can give em a price on the doorstep and offer a date to do the work you are way more likely to get the work in my experience. I only email confirmations of the price I’ve already given apart from occasional jobs with added complications that need addressing.

When I price a job, this is how I go about it:

Inspection
Risk assessment
Do I need to bring in any special equipment?
How many people do I need on the job?
How long do I expect it to take?
What’s the access like?
How much space is available?
How much are we tipping?
How far are we from a tip site?

Charge a good rate for good work. As a self employed person you don’t get pension contributions, sick pay, holiday pay, etc, so that needs to be factored in too. Tempting as it is to price low, it just means you sell yourself short and drive prices down for others. None of us are Tesco’s with turnovers of billions and able to survive on a margin of 2%, so don’t get caught in that mentality. If your business depends heavily on one quote being accepted then the problem isn’t your price, it’s your advertising. Don’t be all slap dash with it, and throw money everywhere, find out what works and focus on it. I personally find I can get work from local print advertising but not enough to justify the expense. But if I pay more for front page print ads I get a much better return on investment. Identify where most of your work comes from and strategise around that
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kent Arboreal said:

If you can give em a price on the doorstep and offer a date to do the work you are way more likely to get the work in my experience. I only email confirmations of the price I’ve already given apart from occasional jobs with added complications that need addressing.

When I price a job, this is how I go about it:

Inspection
Risk assessment
Do I need to bring in any special equipment?
How many people do I need on the job?
How long do I expect it to take?
What’s the access like?
How much space is available?
How much are we tipping?
How far are we from a tip site?

Charge a good rate for good work. As a self employed person you don’t get pension contributions, sick pay, holiday pay, etc, so that needs to be factored in too. Tempting as it is to price low, it just means you sell yourself short and drive prices down for others. None of us are Tesco’s with turnovers of billions and able to survive on a margin of 2%, so don’t get caught in that mentality. If your business depends heavily on one quote being accepted then the problem isn’t your price, it’s your advertising. Don’t be all slap dash with it, and throw money everywhere, find out what works and focus on it. I personally find I can get work from local print advertising but not enough to justify the expense. But if I pay more for front page print ads I get a much better return on investment. Identify where most of your work comes from and strategise around that

Be mindful of door step selling regs.  I find customers (almost) always ask for a price or an indication of a price at the earliest opportunity, normally during the site visit, and I always say I will consider all of the details and follow up by email.

Takes minutes to send a formatted quote which includes initial RAMS and it forms part of the contractural arrangement.  

WWW.GOV.UK

Doorstep selling, regulations, written notice of the right to cancel, exemptions, penalties

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Be mindful of door step selling regs.  I find customers (almost) always ask for a price or an indication of a price at the earliest opportunity, normally during the site visit, and I always say I will consider all of the details and follow up by email.

Takes minutes to send a formatted quote which includes initial RAMS and it forms part of the contractural arrangement.  

WWW.GOV.UK

Doorstep selling, regulations, written notice of the right to cancel, exemptions, penalties

doesnt apply you have been asked to quote, its different.

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0da37842d8bd0addbd724b8e58c3edbc7287cc11de.png WWW.GOV.UK

Price on the doorstep confirmed in writing. That’s what I said. I may not be at my clearest right now though as I’m looking after my 5 day old son, hence being on Arbtalk at 4am. :)
  • Like 2