Laylandi price

Paul Tomo

2 minutes ago, Marc Lewis said:

That is a typical job i underprice. I would say £800 and not bothered if i get or not.

I get we’re your coming from Marc but this job £600/£650 easy job,the client even wants most of the timber left on site.Tidy?

• Like 1

Lot of time involved dragging it out, even more if your loading a trailer and doing several tip runs which is a pig of a thing as there is always shit loads more brash in a leylandi than u think. plus then you got to log everything into 8 inch pieces. You aint gona do that in a day with just 2 people, thats a 3 person job for a day with a chipper and tipper and without one youd need an extra person so 4 people... and for £400 you arent making anything, id start at double that if your taking brash to tip or 650 if youve got a chipper

6 minutes ago, mattyboy said:

Lot of time involved dragging it out, even more if your loading a trailer and doing several tip runs which is a pig of a thing as there is always shit loads more brash in a leylandi than u think. plus then you got to log everything into 8 inch pieces. You aint gona do that in a day with just 2 people, thats a 3 person job for a day with a chipper and tipper and without one youd need an extra person so 4 people... and for £400 you arent making anything, id start at double that if your taking brash to tip or 650 if youve got a chipper

You price the job according to your capabilities and equipment....if you got a van and trailer and you making tip trips then your a mug if only quoting £450/£550...that is a 2 Man job and Chipper done in a day even logging up £650 done and home.

• Like 1

Again why? Ben please don’t think am being funny cause it’s not in my make up but I did just say we all have our own way of pricing work,I personally price the job and how long I think it will take etc obviously comes into it...but at the end of the day a tree is a tree and apart from how long it takes to remove it will very it still takes the same amount of time to get it down.this particular tree has 2 options but because one option is drop it close and the other option is to drag it 100yrds why mess about with the price,option A same money job easier option B same money takes slightly longer but in each case it’s still good money for either scenario..that’s my way of thinking and it works for me and most importantly as long as the client is happy with the price and agrees it really doesn’t matter.
I sort of get this, the customer usually has no idea how long it will take so to them it's more a question of "That's a £500 tree because it's quite big."

You have an idea of how long you want it to take but all your factoring in different machinery, number of people, vehicles etc are completely unknown to the customer when they accept your quote.

Difficult to say without seeing it but my guess would be on the low side of 500 as it doesn't look that big, my method would be park chipper at the base of tree and wheelie bin the chip out so comfortable two man job.

I would like to thank you all for your feedback and you have opened my eyes a little more on how to reassess my way of thinking when I go to price other work in the future.  At the moment I use a 8ft x 5ft x 18 inch trailer pulled by a connect transit van. I don’t have a chipper and I don’t really want to hire one, I’d sooner put the money into buying my own has my business gets bigger.

I’ll not only be needing a chipper but I will also need a decent truck as well but items will be bought when the funds are available. 

I’m we’re you guys have been when you all started your tree surgery business and not wanting to loose any work and work is money and money is what you need to Help build a business up. 

I need the work but I don’t want be cheap just to get the work I can see that the price I’ve come up with is on the cheaper side of the prices you’ve worked out. 

I will add more to this post later tonight, many thanks for all your feedback. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, benedmonds said:

But you surely price the job by how long you think it is going to take... 

So if a Tree Surgeon invests in machinery to make the job faster and more efficient the person needing the work done reaps the benefits and not the Tree Surgeon? 

Makes sense that. :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

So if a Tree Surgeon invests in machinery to make the job faster and more efficient the person needing the work done reaps the benefits and not the Tree Surgeon? 

Makes sense that. :D 

Only if your an idiot... You invest in machinery to make a job faster but your day rate is obviously more...

• Like 2