Ever been convicted of speeding in Scotland

LeeGray

Been clocked at 72 on the a68 in the little van. Limit is 50 (I thought it was 60)

filled in the first letter saying it was me driving now had a court summons and no offer of fixed penalty as speed too excessive. 

Ive filled in the form as a guilty plea and enclosed my license then started doubting the system, had a quick look online and now worrying a ban may be on the way.

Anyone out there had a similar experience? Comments appreciated. 

• Sad 1

Haven’t had any points or driving convictions for 20 years plus but they show previous convictions that will be considered. These were drink driving and dangerous driving when I was a 20 year old idiot! I thought they were gone after 7 years not decades!

13 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Haven’t had any points or driving convictions for 20 years plus but they show previous convictions that will be considered. These were drink driving and dangerous driving when I was a 20 year old idiot! I thought they were gone after 7 years not decades!

I would try not to worry, (I'm a fine one to say that). Again I don't know how it works in Scotland but down here 20 year old convictions really wouldn't be taken into account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham w said:

they will make an example of you, anything to make their figures look good. sorry hope for the best

You won’t get a ban on that speed mate. If you’re pleading guilty, probably 3 or 4 points and a reasonable fine. The previous bans you’ve had will always show up against your license due to their nature, but that far back, it shouldn’t cause you too many issues. 72mph in a 50 surely isn’t a ‘very high speed. Very high speeds are one’s that attract a ban, and to my knowledge, would normally be either double the speed limit, or in excess of 100mph.  Unless you have a load of current points already, I would suggest you’ll be looking at £100 and 3 points.
What type of van were you driving? You say it was a small van. Are we talking ‘car-derived’ or something a little bigger? That will make a difference to the speed you’re allowed to travel in it. Good luck! 

• Like 1

It’s a Citroen nemo which I thought was car derived like the astravan it replaced but checked the log book and it’s tax class as goods vehicle so surprised I haven’t been done sooner to be honest as done 70,000 miles in it at car speed rather than van/pick up speed thinking I was alright.

I think it needs to be more fiesta or corsa size, limited to 2000kgs mgw. You’d then have been ok up to 60, and within the realms of a driver course if they offer them up there! I’m sure you’ll just be awarded a few points and the fine as I suggested. All the best mate ?

• Thanks 1

Never ever plead guilty by letter. It’s always better to go plead guilty in person and apologise profusely. 

I made the mistake of pleading by letter and got 8 points and £200 fine back in 1993. 

They basically gave me maximum they could. 

It hurt ? 

• Thanks 1

Your topic has been an interesting one, and it seems that although the Nemo is well below the 2000kgs weight, because it was designed as a van first, and then developed into a car afterwards, it will not class as a car derived van, and so the 50mph ruling applies. Crazy, given many cars are far heavier: