Steve Bullman

Electric company cars

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Or worse when more people get them, then the coal that actually powers them runs out.

Very little coal used for electricity, mostly gas and that is in extremely short supply. I expect a major hike in gas prices next year.

Maybe a problem charging in the day but the few fission reactors we still have providing 15% of our electricity run 99% of the time 24/7 and wind continues to gust overnight most places so charging at night at home uses some otherwise surplus, indeed on the Octopus agile tariff some punters with electric cars have been paid to take a charge in the small hours.

My daughter gets 200kWh a month free electricity if taken between 1100 and 0400

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

some punters with electric cars have been paid to take a charge in the small hours.

My daughter gets 200kWh a month free electricity if taken between 1100 and 0400

I did not know that.  We almost always charge our car between 10 pm and 7:30 am (about once a week), but we do this just because we know that is when the surplus electricity is around - it saves us nothing.

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

I did not know that.  We almost always charge our car between 10 pm and 7:30 am (about once a week), but we do this just because we know that is when the surplus electricity is around - it saves us nothing.

I think the 200kWh free is an EON option but there are quite a few EV tariffs around.

You need to have a smart meter to take advantage of these tariffs and the agile one penalises you heavilly for power used between 1600 and 2000

Starting to attend more full electric cars running out of charge usually just past a charge point,this is the same as driver's when the fuel lights on they believe they can drive  forever.

It is? News to me. 

Wholesale prices have more than doubled since last summer…

52 minutes ago, djbobbins said:

Wholesale prices have more than doubled since last summer…

I assume you know the difference between short supply and price increase? 

• Like 1