Electric company cars

Steve Bullman

56 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I had a preorder on the electric mustang but cancelled it. 

As in Ford Mustang the muscle car?

I think the future of charging may be via induction zones in parking areas.

A 'foot' descending from under the car makes contact with the 'zone'

Secure from vandalism and aesthically cleaner and potentially less expensive than thousands of charging points.

Stuart

2 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

As in Ford Mustang the muscle car?

I think the future of charging may be via induction zones in parking areas.

A 'foot' descending from under the car makes contact with the 'zone'

Secure from vandalism and aesthically cleaner and potentially less expensive than thousands of charging points.

Stuart

Well yeah and no. It bares no resemblance to the iconic muscle car. 

ford-mustang-mach-e-1.jpg

9 hours ago, Squaredy said:

After a full year of waiting after paying the deposit, I finally took delivery of my brand new fully electric car on Wednesday.  It is a Kia E Niro, and we call him Robert, of course.

Early days yet, but I think I am happy. 

A lot of the technology inside is frankly ill-thought out and annoying.  Even potentially dangerous in fact.  But the overall package of an electric car which does a realistic mileage, drives well, and costs so little to re-fuel that it makes up for the crazy purchase price is a good one.

The service from the dealer was appalling (Wessex Kia) and they are so incompetent that they failed to take my deposit last year, even though when I reminded them they assured me they had it!  The leasing company I will be paying each month I suspect will be a little more organised....

If you are wondering, it was £2000 up-front followed by £345 per month for four years.  A lot of money I would say (especially for someone who usually buys a 12 year old vehicle for thrupence and keeps it on the road as long as possible, patching it up as it falls apart).  On the other hand, compared to my old car I am saving: £25 per month road tax; £10 per month insurance; £70 (average) per month maintenance and MOT; £150 per month fuel, so not so very different after all.  Plus of course the financial risk of car ownership and hefty repair costs lies with the lease company not with me.

kia-niro-de-ev-my19-the-new-kia-w.jpg

What happens at the end of four years?

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

What happens at the end of four years?

They may offer me the chance to buy the car but otherwise that is that.  It is a lease not a purchase - my limited company are just leasing it for four years.

10 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

That’s not a bad deal i don’t reckon for 4 years worry free motoring. Is that £345 including the vat?

No, VAT on top but half of that can be reclaimed.

Edited by Squaredy

I have got a Niro “self charging” hybrid (apparently a piece of terminology manufacturers have been banned from using in other countries!) as a company lease car.

It’s been okay but not faultless, however with a year left to go on the lease I am wondering what to do next. If I take the money instead of a car, I will get taxed and charged NI, so will have about £290 a month take home, out of which I would be obliged to source a car (must be less than 5 years old), insure, maintain, service etc. So I reckon that is out, unless I buy something cheapish like a two year old Insignia and hope it doesn’t make any major mechanical issues.

I was already toying with the idea of staying in the company scheme, but going for an EV - if the BinK numbers are true, that definitely looks more tempting...

Sat in friends' garden last night with necessary nutrition.  This is his new company car - £80k Tesla.  0-60 in 3.6s.  Among the many features is a gaming one that allows you to play a kind of Super Mario using the car's steering wheel and pedals!

Please don't ask how the financing works - I have no idea - but he pays £200 this year and £800 next year; I know no more.

And doesn't my phone take the crappest pics, esp at night!

20200711_221950.jpg

Edited by nepia
  • Like 1