Electric company cars

Steve Bullman

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

The Tesla is indeed ugly.

with the speed in which electric is moving, my main concern is the resale value of a 3-5 year old electric car 

The technology will change all the time and I think purchasing will become pointless. Leasing may be the new norm in years to come providing “older” vehicles are recycled correctly.

13 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Anyone looked into running electric cars as a company vehicle/quoting vehicle perhaps? From my understanding they are far easier to work into a business than a regular car and offer significant tax benefits. I am considering one for the next tax year.

We do. In the fleet. But mostly around Town. And the tax efficiency is better than the fuel efficiency. K

6 minutes ago, JonnyRFT said:

The technology will change all the time and I think purchasing will become pointless. Leasing may be the new norm in years to come providing “older” vehicles are recycled correctly.

They will be Johhny, lithium is the new strategic mineral, keep yr eye on Bolivia its sat on the stuff. K

• Like 1

Batteries on a Renault zoe, £8000 to replace., 6 to 8 years expectancy.

There isnt enough lithium in the world to produce enough batteries for us all to go electric.

There also isnt the practicality for those that live I terraced houses with on street parking to charge their vehicles, and if everyone did so, the cables feeding the properties would all have to  be upgraded to cope with the surge. All these things need to be put into consideration.

Then, how will the government recoup the lost revenue from the road tax? The cost if electricity will go up, and therefore the cost of motoring increases.

Its not all its cracked up to be!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

There also isnt the practicality for those that live I terraced houses with on street parking to charge their vehicles, and if everyone did so, the cables feeding the properties would all have to  be upgraded to cope with the surge. All these things need to be put into consideration.

How long before someone comes up with the idea of felling street trees, replacing them with an artificial one with charging ports on the stem. 

Think about it. Most electricity supplies are under the pavement already, you'd save a fortune in leaf sweeping, pruning costs (no future footpath damage from growing roots) and there could be loads of different artificial tree designs, small leaves/ open crown outside all the light loving complainers. I can go on :D 

Maybe there's even a means of having of having photo-electric cells in the artificial leaves, so the artificial trees create energy on sunny days.

Think I'm onto a winner here :thumbup:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Batteries on a Renault zoe, £8000 to replace., 6 to 8 years expectancy.

There isnt enough lithium in the world to produce enough batteries for us all to go electric.

Then, how will the government recoup the lost revenue from the road tax? The cost if electricity will go up, and therefore the cost of motoring increases.

Its not all its cracked up to be!

I have put 8000squid of fuel into a vehicle in a couple of years, so it aint any big deal for some. Its the cleaner running in town. But really we need to use personal cars much less! K

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Khriss said:

@GaryPrentice ..... No, yr just a BadMan  ? *cough*SheffieldTreeActionGroup*cough cough * :) k

Would Stag have really complained if the replacement (artificial) trees were 50-60 ft specimens? Maybe these artificial trees/charging ports could be designed to provide all the ecosystem benefits of real trees too.

Edit:  Jokes aside, I know Finland is quite advanced. You pull into a public car park and every parking bay has a plug-in post to heat your engine to stop the oil cooling. Not sure what the amps/voltages are but they've created a pretty decent infrastructure so far.

Edited by Gary Prentice
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyRFT said:

I agree; cars are so integrated in their systems that even a minor fault can make them uneconomic to repair, with leasing you essentially spread the risk of a catastrophic failure early in a vehicle's life.

It will be interesting to see how EVs devalue, I can see the first generation, like Leafs and Zoes  falling fast because their range is half a current generation one . After that my guess is they will drop slowly for 6 or 7 years and then crash  as battery capacity falls.

Loss of tax revenue will be an issue that the government will wish to address so the cost of electricity will go up alongside some form of road/mileage toll.

As to shortages of lithium, didn't I used to pump it into pins and bearings on a total loss basis each day? Also how come disposable vaping devices contain 1 Amp Hour cells if the stuff is scarce?

• Like 2

We are also in the process of looking into this. I can't get my head round the whole benefit in kind thing. Being only newly formed as a ltd company I don't really understand the difference in company vehicle types. I will post if/when I get a better understanding. That Jaguar looks mint!