Electric company cars

Steve Bullman

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

Or worse when more people get them, then the coal that actually powers them runs out.

Very little coal used for electricity, mostly gas and that is in extremely short supply. I expect a major hike in gas prices next year.

Maybe a problem charging in the day but the few fission reactors we still have providing 15% of our electricity run 99% of the time 24/7 and wind continues to gust overnight most places so charging at night at home uses some otherwise surplus, indeed on the Octopus agile tariff some punters with electric cars have been paid to take a charge in the small hours.

My daughter gets 200kWh a month free electricity if taken between 1100 and 0400

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

some punters with electric cars have been paid to take a charge in the small hours.

My daughter gets 200kWh a month free electricity if taken between 1100 and 0400

I did not know that.  We almost always charge our car between 10 pm and 7:30 am (about once a week), but we do this just because we know that is when the surplus electricity is around - it saves us nothing.

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

I did not know that.  We almost always charge our car between 10 pm and 7:30 am (about once a week), but we do this just because we know that is when the surplus electricity is around - it saves us nothing.

I think the 200kWh free is an EON option but there are quite a few EV tariffs around.

• 5 months later...

Once again we had a terrible experience when trying to charge our electric car in London.  We went in to town for a musical last night and stayed in a hotel at Royal Oak.  The first charge point we tried was in a closed garage, but still showing as available on the web.  Second one needed a subscription.  Then I tried the Tesla garage and they were very helpful but told me their 16 charge points were only for Teslas sorry. 

By this time we were out of time and had to go see our show.  Next morning was better as we found a charge point at Tesco which not only worked but was free to use.  Still had to download a pesky app but at least it worked.

We need to get to a situation where any electric car can use any charge point, as long as the driver has means to pay.  If an app is available to make it easy for those people who want an app then fine, but no petrol station in the country will refuse to sell you petrol or diesel without an app.  Even the all night ones simply take card payments and have done for decades.

• Like 5

Followed this thread with interest.

Not likely to be buying a BEV since we bought the Toyota only 6 month ago.

But interested(and if the bloody Skoda had not shit hersel prematurely I might have considered a BEV, a couple of years hence)

Anyway, how is MPGe calculated?

Tried doing some research having seen silly high like 100 to 150 MPG figures being quoted.

How is this possible?

Since most of the electric generated is still  subject to the first law of thermodynamics in respect of its generation with its inherent inefficiencies plus the transmission losses?

Thoughts?