Electric company cars

Steve Bullman

10 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Anyone looked into running electric cars as a company vehicle/quoting vehicle perhaps? From my understanding they are far easier to work into a business than a regular car and offer significant tax benefits. I am considering one for the next tax year.

Yes; I have put a deposit down on a Kia E-Niro, and hopefully delivery will be in Spring.  From April the benefit in kind tax charge is reduced to zero, so in effect there is no tax charge as a benfit at all.  For me it will be almost the same cost as my current 15 year old car.  It will only very rarely be used for business - my wife will use it mainly; taking kids to school, etc; but this is quite legitimate.  It is going to cost over £400 per month, but savings in tax, fuel, maintenance, etc will reduce this drastcally.  

The main issue is having somewhere to charge it - ie a drive.  Luckily I have an ideal spot next to my house, so I will have no need to use public chargers except for rare occasions when we drive to (for example) Cornwall.  The range of the vehicle we are buying is nearly 300 miles.

• Like 5

We are now bringing them in for RFT and Flagship. They’re mostly Hybrids (with the exception of a few fully EV) at the moment but my understanding from fleet is that there’s big tax incentives. I won’t be surprised if they push for a full EV fleet (minus commercial) within the next 8 years.

I’m just hoping Rivian release their EV pickup by the time the lease runs out on my truck.?

9 hours ago, JonnyRFT said:

We are now bringing them in for RFT and Flagship. They’re mostly Hybrids (with the exception of a few fully EV) at the moment but my understanding from fleet is that there’s big tax incentives. I won’t be surprised if they push for a full EV fleet (minus commercial) within the next 8 years.

I’m just hoping Rivian release their EV pickup by the time the lease runs out on my truck.?

Interesting, I had not heard of Rivian.  At least their pick-up looks better than the Tesla pick up.  I don’t know what Tesla we’re thinking with the design of it.  Here it is for anyone wondering.  

Sorry I am too much of a dinosaur to get a picture to appear on this post you will have to google it!

Just now, Steve Bullman said:

My main concern is the resale value of a 3-5 year old electric car 

The residuals on Teslas seem to be very strong. 

I think our present crop of ICE vehicles will be our last. In 3 years time, the Rivian should hopefully be on the market and proven, Tesla will have produced a bloody estate car and there will be a choice of small electric vans 

3 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

The Tesla is indeed ugly.

with the speed in which electric is moving, my main concern is the resale value of a 3-5 year old electric car 

Yes and supposing the batteries or motors need replacing when you come to sell.  For this reason I am leasing so none of that is my problem.

• Like 1

Why don't they make the car batteries like a cordless drill ones you can just swap out say between different cars of same brand, or upgrade?

Should be pretty straight forward.....

Obviously cost will be big but prices supposedly will decrease of new batteries  in future.

Edited by Stere

For my next vehicle I am definitely going to get something all electric. Just considering my options. My sister got a Tesla 3 just before Xmas and it is amazing. Like a car of the future that has come back in time. My brother in law says the good thing about Teslas is the supercharger network. If you need to recharge it while out on the road it only takes 20 minutes and they are all over the country. And the acceleration of it is insane!

I watched this recently about electric vehicles and how quickly it could change. He is a bit 'American' but you can't argue with much of what he says........

• Like 1