TPO application. Report v Decision

roythegrass

16 hours ago, EdwardC said:

I never had to deal with a non-determination appeal. However, once the appeal is validated it is for PIN's to determine. It is usual in the planning world for the council to indicate at a non-determination appeal whether or not they would have approved or refused the application. If they indicated approval it would be sensible for the appellant to withdraw the appeal putting the ball back in the councils court, and await the councils decision. PIN's isn't bound to honour the councils indicated decision, and could still refuse the application.

Thanks Edward, that explains a lot. 

My misconception was that as the appeal was for non-determination, if the LA then reached a determination there was no longer a valid reason for the appeal.

I've never submitted a ND appeal myself.

17 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Why don’t TOs ‘grow up’ to become POs and beyond?

Arb qualifications are very different to those that Planners study for. The POs that I know have 'planning' degrees and rely on their TO counterparts to advise on tree related matters within TWAs 

I do know of one planning officer at Calderdale (Halifax) who made the transition to become a TO though, gaining arb qualifications after many years in the planning department. 

UPDATE

Firstly thanks for all the input.

I have this afternoon received an email from the council formally granting consent for the works as specified in the application. (A month after the 'decision by' date!)

One minor issue in the conditions states " ...the works for which such consent is granted may only be carried out once..."   A layman could read this as preventing any future pruning to the tree. Given the decay in the trunk and that in x years time the tree will have grown sufficiently to necessitate further pruning then surely this can't be right. Perhaps my interpretation is wrong.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 17:05, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Maybe a broader question Gary....

Why don’t TOs ‘grow up’ to become POs and beyond?

Some do but there are only so many head of service jobs and a lot of other departments with staff that want to move up. 

If we recognise that the role is generally that of a junior civil servant with limited authority and influence but that it exists in a fairly rare hierarchical system where career progression is actively promoted and available, why are TOs not embracing career progression within LAs?

As above  

Id wager it’s more common for TOs to exploit opportunities for CPD whilst in the role as preparation for moving into the private sector than it is for them to progress within local government. 

Nothing wrong with CPD, in fact quite the opposite.  Its no different to private consultants going on CPD and then moving to another company or an LPA for that matter. 

There are more consultancy jobs in the private sector than there are head of service jobs and chief exec jobs in the LA.  You can earn more as an expert witness than you can as a head of service and the work is more interesting in my opinion.      

I do both sides and the private sector is a lot less hassle and frustration - contentious I know but that is my experience.   

13 hours ago, roythegrass said:

UPDATE

Firstly thanks for all the input.

I have this afternoon received an email from the council formally granting consent for the works as specified in the application. (A month after the 'decision by' date!)

One minor issue in the conditions states " ...the works for which such consent is granted may only be carried out once..."   A layman could read this as preventing any future pruning to the tree. Given the decay in the trunk and that in x years time the tree will have grown sufficiently to necessitate further pruning then surely this can't be right. Perhaps my interpretation is wrong.

As Ed said, its one time pruning for that application.  You sometimes have to spell it out to people to be on the safe side if you are unsure.  I've never put the one time pruning on as a condition as its not really needed.  If anything you would put it as informative text as standard.   

I have conditioned maximum cut sizes for crown lifting in the past which is a bit over the top as crown lifting is specified within a British Standard.  If you don't though some tree surgeons (not many) will take out entire limbs and call it crown lifting, and then say 'I don't have the British Standard as it over £100'. 

Sounds like they are just trying to be clear on what is consented. 

• Like 1