Employment Advice/Pay

Tom Pollard

Hi fellas, I’ve just finished a two year arb/forestry course and I’m in the job hunting game now, I’m not really sure what pay I should be looking for.

I’m 18 years old with no other experience except from the course.

What would be a decent wage to ask for?
Advice about getting into the industry would also be welcomed

Thanks, Tom

Nothing major? JUST a climber! That’ll bring in some opinions!

Wages wise I can’t help, as I’ve been out of the UK for 15 years, though judging by what I read on here you won’t command much in the first year or so till you’ve proved your worth.

Initially I would try to get my foot on the ladder with a larger or well equipped outfit, you’ll learn more about how the job goes rather than just dragging brush for a one man band. 

A bit of utility work would also give you plenty of time on the saws plus you’ll probably never work harder!

At 18 you have plenty of time to learn all aspects so no need to rush, but by your mid to late 20s you should be able to do everything to a decent standard, so have achievable goals and try to keep to them.

’pinions vary of course.

Mick

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Post on the job section you are looking for work,State your qualifications where you live and all what you can offer as a raw 18 year old. See what replies you get as many members looking for new staff so you may get lucky (good luck) Tom and welcome to the forum ?

• Like 2

As daft as it may sound, utility arb (?) might not be a bad place to start? I worked for a company who did 60/40 utility/domestic arb and due to the nature of utility work I got plenty of time climbing, and quickly! Plus company’s are always looking for guys, and the money isn’t bad. Lots of small 2 man band style company’s are just after that 3rd man to drag brash all day, nothing wrong with that but not ideal if you want to get stuck in and learn! 

• Like 1