MS500i daily use

spuddog0507

20 hours ago, MattyF said:

I know a lad who’s been using his 500i since day one on outsider Sitka since its been out and he rates it, I’ve only used mine for Arb work at the moment but got it from his review as I know he hammers his saws , I do like the 462 though.

Out sidders will be its main task over the year, but got some nice gun barrel straight big oaks on one job to do which will be 30"-36" dbh with the odd one a bit bigger, so was thinking on the lines of having a 500i on this job as i think these Oaks would be a good testing ground for one,

• Like 1

Not tried one. Only seen one in the flesh on a saw shop rack. Plastic etc looked shitter than ever.... Wouldn't be for me 

Good luck on your choice either way. 

I have been looking at a replacement 70cc saw for a while. Would.have liked a 461 but will get a 462 in the next couple of months. 

9 hours ago, MattyF said:

Personally I think the 500i performs like a lighter 288xp ,I always would pick up the 395 first over the 288 but with the 500i I’m not sure.

thanks for your input on this subject its much appriecated, a bit old school myself and i have to addmit i do like things i can fix myself, but as tech in saws is going we wont be able to fix owt our selfs before long, Huskeys i was put off them many years ago when i guy i worked with ran em and they never seemed that reliable, at that time i would of been on 038s ok a heavy saw but it kept going and its still used today buy a lad down the road for firewood, Huskeys have never done owt for me since then but one thing i always look at is trying to keep things local i have 2 stihl dealers with in 10 mins of me nearest huskey dealer 45 mins so for me it makes sence to buy stihl,

I’ve kind of always gone between the two picking out the saws I liked but sadly stihl didn’t make a saw I liked since the 046 until the 462 then the 462 to me feels like a husky, I stopped using the 460’s previous though and switched to husky as I felt the anti vibes on stihl where in general massively inferior and giving me problems.
If you never had a go on the 288xp I guess the 064 would of been in the same class , I did own one briefly (got stolen ) but it always struck me as an odd ball as it was almost the weight of the 066 but less power.
Back to the 500i Out in the woods makes a good point about the lack of mid range it is certainly not a 462 in comparison which I can’t fault but what the 500i will do is pull a lot bigger bar without hesitation flat out in the cut and picks up very quick to max revs which I’m guessing is why it feels a bit weak in that part of the power band.

• Like 3

I’ve kind of always gone between the two picking out the saws I liked but sadly stihl didn’t make a saw I liked since the 046 until the 462 then the 462 to me feels like a husky, I stopped using the 460’s previous though and switched to husky as I felt the anti vibes on stihl where in general massively inferior and giving me problems.
If you never had a go on the 288xp I guess the 064 would of been in the same class , I did own one briefly (got stolen ) but it always struck me as an odd ball as it was almost the weight of the 066 but less power.
Back to the 500i Out in the woods makes a good point about the lack of mid range it is certainly not a 462 in comparison which I can’t fault but what the 500i will do is pull a lot bigger bar without hesitation flat out in the cut and picks up very quick to max revs which I’m guessing is why it feels a bit weak in that part of the power band.
My thoughts exactly I really rate the 462 and like using the 5001 in the tree its great so light really good pick up not sure about its longevity and robustness but time will tell stihl have definitely upped there game massively with these two saws
  • Like 3

On 03/01/2020 at 20:14, MattyF said:

Been out on a shoot today and one lad there i was talking to has used both 462 and 500l in both felling big spruce and hardwoods and windblown he said there aint a lot between em but 9 times out of 10 he just picks the 462 up as he said it just feels better in his hands and its a bit better on fuel, 462 is on a 20" bar and 500i on a 25", but like he said today do you need a saw with a bar bigger than 20" and answer to that is no i dont only every now and then and for those times when i need a bigger saw n bar i will just give my 660 a run out, 462 is looking like what it will be for me,

1 hour ago, swinny said:

Yikes! Just been looking at new price on the 462 and 500..... nearly a grand with vat. When did they get so dear? I remember my 660 was cheaper! 

Bloomin hecky

Bloody hell Swinny i know your not that far from Yorkshire and just still in lancashire but your starting to sound like a yorkshire man with prices,,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1