Fireworks Ban?

Billhook

11 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

I think we shoukd ban everything we don't like or understand.

Guns

Fireworks

Motorbikes.

Power Boats

Large Fridges and Freezers

4x4s

Hunting

Sport fishing

Big Dogs

Air travel

Smart Phones

Equestrian Events

None of the above are needed these days.

You also forgot politicians and Parliament

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I don't think that the cost of it is relevant to the argument..  The perception is that we have to pay a lot of money to stop using fossil fuels and eating meat by paying for more costly alternatives or taxes.  If you really believe this and there are going to be huge sacrifices to be made in the name of cutting down emissions then banning fireworks is a no brainer

The Sydney case is worse because as  Alex said it would be very insensitive and unfair to put firefighters on standby in Sydney when they are desperately needed elsewhere.

Cost is relevant to the argument if it costs another 50 million to cancel the event–that's another 50 million that would come from future budget. Also, the city firefighters would be on standby anyway as they're not RFS - Rural Fire Service. We'd be further up sh!t creek without the RFS volunteers.

2 hours ago, Alex O said:

They cancelled all the 9pm shows but as you say they stood to lose a lot of money if they cancelled the harbour show, shame really as the emergency service’s are stretched enough at the moment without being on standby for a display. We are also west Sydney in Kellyville, you close to any fires or just getting smoked out like us.

I'm in Katoomba but thankfully the 'Ruin Castle' fire south and 'Grose Valley' fire north are well under control and we even had 0.2mm of rain this morning so finally had a chance to wash the windscreen on the truck after two dry weeks.

• Like 1

I think people see the smoke from the Fireworks and think its terrible,when it is Carbon that was already in existence. 

Black powder us two thirds charcoal and only one third of that is consumed in an explosion. The remaining parts are sulphur and saltpeter.Potassium nitrate.

Hardly toxic stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alex O said:

They cancelled all the 9pm shows but as you say they stood to lose a lot of money if they cancelled the harbour show, shame really as the emergency service’s are stretched enough at the moment without being on standby for a display. We are also west Sydney in Kellyville, you close to any fires or just getting smoked out like us.

Hope there are some tree left to work on after all this Alex.  Keep safe mate. 

I'm in Katoomba but thankfully the 'Ruin Castle' fire south and 'Grose Valley' fire north are well under control and we even had 0.2mm of rain this morning so finally had a chance to wash the windscreen on the truck after two dry weeks.

Ahh okay so you’re on the boarder of the blu mountains or are you in them? So you’re probably a good hour away from me then. No rain here today or past couple of weeks, my white ute is just covered in ash and topped up buy this mornings blow over. I still can’t imagine what others are going through at the moment and what they’ve lost, read somewhere the other day they estimate around 8 thousand koalas have died so far and if the fire are like this every year then they could be extinct in the next 30yrs, also they reckon in total around 480mill animals have died. The fire fighters have been amazing at what they have done with what they have got.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think there is alot left.

The fireworks are launched from plastic tubes,these are reused.

I suppose the fireworks are set off via electric igniters so the wires for those are also reused.Same as the crates that hold the fireworks batteries.

I am no pyrotechnic expert  the place that sells black powder near me is the countries largest fireworks contractor so you see all this stuff in their warehouse. 

Why would they dump anything in the sea when there are municiple  refuse facilities on hand?

What would the Co2 emissions from 8 ton of fireworks be in comparison to the bushfires? 

• Like 1