Fireworks Ban?

Billhook

6 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

I think we shoukd ban everything we don't like or understand.

Guns

Fireworks

Motorbikes.

Power Boats

Large Fridges and Freezers

4x4s

Hunting

Sport fishing

Big Dogs

Air travel

Smart Phones

Equestrian Events

None of the above are needed these days.

You forgot ex wives

• Like 1

Hi I think we should concentrate on banning things like nuclear power ,depleted uranium shells ,fracking ,old rubber factories in the former USSR ,before bloody fireworks.Geo engineering poses a much bigger threat than fireworks,spraying heavy metals into our atmosphere creating man made clouds shutting all the greenhouse gases under a blanket of cloud causing temperatures to rise even more if we do not put a stop to geo engineering we could end up with a cascade event and then we are all Fu##ed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hill said:

Long Haired Pets

Birds in cages

Fish in Bowls

Houses with more bedrooms than occupants 

Dont forget Christmas, loads of people hate it and just to think of all that wasted burning of fairy lights!!

While on the subject of environmental catastrophes , I wonder if Greta has taken Rosie Jones advice as a new years resolution... and tried a glass of Lambrini?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Should have added Meat too.

I agree.  I went out in style last night with some Elk cooked in the slow cooker with veggies and shrooms in a red wine sauce.

2020 is a new year and no meat...  apart from the ham sandwich I had for lunch today.  ???

• Like 2

If geoengineering is happening we're pretty much Fu##ed anyway but no one official is admitting it's happening.

Fracking is my bigger concern.

Fireworks - there are 6 fireworks manufacturers in the UK. they should be supported against imported fireworks, but even then there needs to be changes. Maybe displays only, or a higher rate of VAT for sales to the public...

I live close–about 100km west–Sydney and I'm not a fan of the fireworks but I'm pretty sure it would have cost more to NOT have the display this year. I.e. the money was spent many months ago so would probably cost more to cancel (e.g. barges on the harbour already loaded with fireworks would have to be unloaded rather than dumped out to sea...or whatever they usually do with the spent fireworks.) Will be interesting what Sydney council does next year. Maybe we'll run out of water before then and all move to NZ.

• Like 1

I live close–about 100km west–Sydney and I'm not a fan of the fireworks but I'm pretty sure it would have cost more to NOT have the display this year. I.e. the money was spent many months ago so would probably cost more to cancel (e.g. barges on the harbour already loaded with fireworks would have to be unloaded rather than dumped out to sea...or whatever they usually do with the spent fireworks.) Will be interesting what Sydney council does next year. Maybe we'll run out of water before then and all move to NZ.

They cancelled all the 9pm shows but as you say they stood to lose a lot of money if they cancelled the harbour show, shame really as the emergency service’s are stretched enough at the moment without being on standby for a display. We are also west Sydney in Kellyville, you close to any fires or just getting smoked out like us.

3 hours ago, arborlicious said:

I don't think that the cost of it is relevant to the argument..  The perception is that we have to pay a lot of money to stop using fossil fuels and eating meat by paying for more costly alternatives or taxes.  If you really believe this and there are going to be huge sacrifices to be made in the name of cutting down emissions then banning fireworks is a no brainer

The Sydney case is worse because as  Alex said it would be very insensitive and unfair to put firefighters on standby in Sydney when they are desperately needed elsewhere.

• Like 3