Best Return

Johnsond

I’d go waney edge cladding - people always seem to ask for it and it’s hard for people not in the know to source . Cut it all the same size to make storage easy - never underestimate the importance of storage. It doesn’t matter if it’s the best timber , milled perfectly - if it’s not stored correctly it’s worthless.

On 01/01/2020 at 00:39, topchippyles said:

Sorry just to add when milling the outer edges into inch boards i never move the blade up or down. Just rip through move the cut board and rip again and just keep repeating process until finished. Great waney edge boards so maximise profits (firewood) ton bags for all the loose stuff £40 a bag which pays for the next load of uncut logs or helps towards cost ??

Sorry for sounding thick but how do you mill on a bandsaw without moving the blade up or down? 

• Confused 1

Andy is quite simple ,Cut a square beam out of a log as big as possible and this is my own system,All the outer half round cuts should be easy to man handle,Wind up the saw to 28 mm above the beam still placed on the sawmill,Then put one of the outer half round cuts on top of the beam and just rip trough so you end up with say a 1 inch board 10 inches wide ,Remove that and just put the half round back on and rip again and again until you get down to say a 4/6 inch x 1 inch board 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

what size do you cut to?

For waney edge cladding i’d cut one straight edge to aid future working and then rip 3/4 or inch boards. I never cut dimensionalised  timber if it’s going into the store as it’s much more prone to move whilst drying and result in more wastage. Full width boards to be ripped down once dry is in my experience the best way to go.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Andy is quite simple ,Cut a square beam out of a log as big as possible and this is my own system,All the outer half round cuts should be easy to man handle,Wind up the saw to 28 mm above the beam still placed on the sawmill,Then put one of the outer half round cuts on top of the beam and just rip trough so you end up with say a 1 inch board 10 inches wide ,Remove that and just put the half round back on and rip again and again until you get down to say a 4/6 inch x 1 inch board 

Tried this at the weekend and to be honest rather than worrying too much about it on the initial cuts I just bashed on and as you say got the biggest square beam possible. Worked out great and made the task of seeing what you could get out of the log much easier. The pic is the result of 3hrs work plus ended up with about 2 cube of off cuts for firewood 

AA61C31E-1997-4E66-8512-CBED9A8B3080.jpeg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

i get it now, cheers. Will give this a try. :)

7 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Tried this at the weekend and to be honest rather than worrying too much about it on the initial cuts I just bashed on and as you say got the biggest square beam possible. Worked out great and made the task of seeing what you could get out of the log much easier. The pic is the result of 3hrs work plus ended up with about 2 cube of off cuts for firewood 

AA61C31E-1997-4E66-8512-CBED9A8B3080.jpeg