Best Return

Johnsond

Hi All 

Quick question ref some excess timber I’ve left over. I bought 25t of Douglas Fir saw logs for a project and have about 30% left over all oversize up to 42inch diameter, looking for the best options in regard to milling this up and seeing what I can get for it. Some of these logs will easy produce several 6x6 or 8x8 beams or alternatively even bigger if going for a single heart centred beam from each log. All logs are min 4.8m long. Big J hopefully you read this, I was gonna PM you regarding the above question but thought I’d throw it out into the open. 

59 minutes ago, MattyF said:

3x6 4x2 and 4x4 is easy money as well as what you mentioned and are easier to sell, only time I’ve made money quick milling is getting a cutting list and getting duggy fir on the mill..not that I’ve tried to hard to use the mill for a profit!

Cheers for the reply Matty 

No me neither ref trying to make money from it, just I’m sat with these logs now and rather than cut and store random sizes for possible later use I’d rather get something out of it. My line of thought ref oddball sizes was the others ie 4x2 etc are all easy available off the shelf so to speak as opposed to 4x8 or 8x8 ?‍♂️?‍♂️. Who knows !!. Might stick an add on gumtree and see what response I get. 

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Outdoor tables emoji106.png

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Outdoor tables emoji106.png

Any images of the sort of tables you mention??, I’m no carpenter so it would need to be simple stuff ?. My woodwork tends to be of the rustic or chunky robust style. 

Edited by Johnsond

Any images of the sort of tables you mention??, I’m no carpenter so it would need to be simple stuff [emoji3]. My woodwork tends to be of the rustic or chunky robust style. 

Yeah I only do chunky and rustic.
2" -4" slabs and lag bolts.
Joiners look away now...
IMG_0665.jpgIMG_2484.jpgIMG_2486.jpgIMG_2488.jpg
[emoji106]

• Like 1

Saul, how much do them outdoor tables and benches sell for, if you don't mind me asking.

Piece of string...
The first lot is all sweet chestnut except for the table slab of oak.
Stainless steel lag bolted.
£400 for our daughters nursery.
Normally I'd say £600.
The second is in my living room.
Did a big cherry, oak and s.chestnut table and benches a few years back,
£2500.
I sell exquisite slabs to a guy down south, his tables start about 4-5k and go up to about 30k.
Just depends on your product and market.
A big table (8'+) is very heavy.
Takes a lot of ducking around.
Every time you need to flip it or move it.
Coffee tables are sooo much easier.
[emoji106]