GTL fuel

arbwork

has anyone used or thought about using this ?

WWW.SHELL.COM

Shell has conducted many field trials on Shell GTL Fuel in major cities around the world over the past decade, covering...

reads ok with advantages to all, with possible exception to being a few pence a litre more,  but seems to eliminate the FAME problems that people are experiencing, my only fear is that gas oil/derv is a lubricant and I need assurance this alternative will not damage my engines both old and newer

8 hours ago, Khriss said:

I am using liquid gas in the Series II and have to use a drip additive to keep the valves from burning. K

I ran a V8 on LPG for about 100k miles without any signs of valve seat recession, similarly the MGB I have driven for 47 years has spent most of its life on unleaded with no sign of valve stem clearances closing. Mind I don't thrash it.

I read the data sheet... maybe I read it wrong,,, I thought they add it to diesel and get better  emissions  and mpg...

either way its reuseing an old byproduct from the petroleum industry and giving it a new life, just like aspen fuel

Edit : I read the 2nd thing from certas, seems like they say an alternative

Edited by Wonky

8 hours ago, Wonky said:

I read the data sheet... maybe I read it wrong,,, I thought they add it to diesel and get better  emissions  and mpg...

either way its reuseing an old byproduct from the petroleum industry and giving it a new life, just like aspen fuel

Edit : I read the 2nd thing from certas, seems like they say an alternative

I thought Aspen fuel came from the very top of the refinery hence there is less of it and it costs more rather than it being a " reusable byproduct " . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

Ok, I got it a bit wrong,,, it’s all about supply and demand and improving the quality of the fuel,  however depending on where the crude comes from. It has varying amounts each components, so depending on what you want to make and the amount.  you would by crude from different oil fields. I guess a refiner would blend crude to get the products they want.

anyway some links to read and understand how  crude is used for the whole process.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/petroleum-refining/Saturated-molecules

OILANDGASLOGISTICS.WORDPRESS.COM

Every refinery begins with the separation of crude oil into different fractions by distillation. The fractions are...
WWW.BRITANNICA.COM

Alkylation, in petroleum refining, chemical process in which light, gaseous hydrocarbons are combined to...

2430DDF6-5F8C-4F20-B78A-7D7EEB9F724F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...