Ported exhaust for Stihl MS361

Treerover

If there is no baffle in the muffler it will be stupidly loud and only suitable if you are using in in the middle of nowhere using earplugs AND ear defenders!

It goes against one of my major muffler mod rules and is bourn out by a customer in Ireland who is now partially deaf using something similar imported from the US before I did him a proper useable MM which he is happy with!

• Like 2

If there is no baffle in the muffler it will be stupidly loud and only suitable if you are using in in the middle of nowhere using earplugs AND ear defenders!
It goes against one of my major muffler mod rules and is bourn out by a customer in Ireland who is now partially deaf using something similar imported from the US before I did him a proper useable MM which he is happy with!

Phew I’m glad I checked . Cheers Spudders.
Am I able to send you my muffler for modification or do you sell a version ?
Incidentally, do you remember I had continuous problems with this 361 that I posted a while ago?
It turned out the keyway on the flywheel has gone !!!
Sometimes it would catch and run fine, sometimes just slip and not run properly . Got there in the end though !!
Runs lovely now as does the ms200 that you did the carb for . Use it daily ??[emoji1319]

This 361 had a 1 inch port out the side. I'm not a fan of stuff sticking out the front of the exhaust unless it is a standard Stihl ported cover.

154496012.5200HPJe.3612.jpg

The 361 muffler has a lot of junk inside of it and must be completely gutted to make much of a difference. Simply adding another port doesn't really help so much. Some aftermarket mufflers come without the guts, tho.

170255555.IhtdVJ7t.361_muffler_guts.JPG

Here it is, ported, in a nootka yellow cedar on a mountainside. These are quite a bit harder than red cedar. It gives you an idea of the noise:

• Like 1

Wes is pretty much there, the gubbins inside the muffler really needs to be removed and does make a difference to the power of the saw, ported or just MMed.

I cut the muffler in half and then remove the baffles and then braze it back together with a larger outlet either ground or a let in pipe.

I tend to do conservative muffler mods (Gay as Wes calls them:001_rolleyes:) where they give the desired end result without waking the dead in the next country!! Much of the work I do goes to work on domestic and commercial companies working in towns and cities where excessive noise isn't welcomed. The Forestry guys really don't give a damn as trees don't complain so anything goes but avoid front exiting ports especially directly opposite the exhaust port!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Treerover said:

Phew I’m glad I checked . Cheers Spudders.
Am I able to send you my muffler for modification or do you sell a version ?
Incidentally, do you remember I had continuous problems with this 361 that I posted a while ago?
It turned out the keyway on the flywheel has gone !!!
Sometimes it would catch and run fine, sometimes just slip and not run properly . Got there in the end though !!
Runs lovely now as does the ms200 that you did the carb for . Use it daily ??emoji1319.png

I don't sell modified bits but have done MMs on mufflers supplied to me in the past. Just PM me and will pull a price together although it is a sod of a job. Looks like Wes uncurled the join on his, I found it easier to cut and braze although either takes quite a time so won't come cheap.

• Like 1

This 361 had a 1 inch port out the side. I'm not a fan of stuff sticking out the front of the exhaust unless it is a standard Stihl ported cover.
154496012.5200HPJe.3612.jpg
The 361 muffler has a lot of junk inside of it and must be completely gutted to make much of a difference. Simply adding another port doesn't really help so much. Some aftermarket mufflers come without the guts, tho.
170255555.IhtdVJ7t.361_muffler_guts.JPG

Here it is, ported, in a nootka yellow cedar on a mountainside. These are quite a bit harder than red cedar. It gives you an idea of the noise:

Jees thats flying !!! [emoji7]
  • Like 1

On 31/12/2019 at 16:31, spudulike said:

I don't sell modified bits but have done MMs on mufflers supplied to me in the past. Just PM me and will pull a price together although it is a sod of a job. Looks like Wes uncurled the join on his, I found it easier to cut and braze although either takes quite a time so won't come cheap.

I'll do the seem if it is a front mounted flange muffler where the bolts hold it on.

I do prefer the Stihl two piece ones, tho. Like this one here, just purring along quietly. The neighbours prolly didn't even notice it was on ;)

Edited by wyk
  • Like 2

Here's some dancing for ya - Dolmar 420/Makita 4300. It ended up at 2400rpm after I put it together before I tuned it. Same RPM my 288xp idles at. So it's trying to move like Jagger here.