Free oak tree for milling and firewood

CarrieN

3 hours ago, JonnyRFT said:

Carrie, you may find that this is 1 - 2 days of work with a lot of transporting of timber. The pay out for the timber is relatively small compared to what’s involved when removing the tree.

This kind of job offer is normally a joke that circulates through the Arb community so you may find a bit of backlash and not finding the answer you need.

...tho' Glendales were doing trees like that fr £275 ... worth a shot an they aint far ;) K

Edited by Khriss
No ! Really ! That was the contract price on Large Tree removal...... !!
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Carrie, please consider obtaining advice from an arboricultural expert who can offer a tree report with a picus test which is a non-invasive scan of the interior of the tree.

It may well be that the fungus is not advanced in it's decay and that no action is required or just a crown reduction may be a more economical option.

I recently visited 2 oaks which fell in recent high winds, both had this same fungus, it attacks the roots and butt of the tree leaving just soft cellulose fibres like wet cotton wool. 

Sadly there is almost no value in the raw wood.

Regards

Stuart

She doesn't want to pay for the removal, you reckon shell fork out for a picus?! But you're right, it may remain standing well into the future..

6 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Never going to get that tree dropped for free. You might claw back 3-400 on the timber if you're lucky. It's a 1.5 to 2k min rigged dismantle imo, with plenty of fragile targets and public access. Not an easy job for any company. Many will have to charge more depending on overheads.

I reckon your sawmill man realised you were wasting his time and sent you here to waste ours instead. We run companies that provide services, not charities. Dont be so feckin miserable and pay your "tree guy" a bloody wage. Alternatively get timmy the tinker to drop it on your roof for free, see which option works out cheaper in the long run. 

Quite easy to get the point across without resorting to hitting the send button and insulting people, ie like Jonny managed in his post !. 

I’m sure by now the woman has realised that the advice she received from the sawmill is probably incorrect to say the least. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Quite easy to get the point across without resorting to hitting the send button and insulting people, ie like Jonny managed in his post !. 

I’m sure by now the woman has realised that the advice she received from the sawmill is probably incorrect to say the least. 

Just calling it as I see it. No more insulting than having your business being valued at zero by someone. It's like asking a builder to build you a wall in return for the leftover cement and sand. 

• Like 6

Based on the last comment I wont  bother reading further up as it looks brutal.  ?? So instead I will take my naive comment back and close the post. I simply just wanted to open a dialog with professionals and instead get stomped on. I was open to any suggestions like yeah could do this for £ xxx amount if I get to keep timber etc.   But I guess this isn't the forum.  I will go back to the timber company who advised me to come here give them the feedback is was not helpful; I was only a joke.  Cheers!???  

• Like 4

Oh Btw I have a professional Tree guy that has been trimming this tree for for the past 13 years.  I pay him well too.  He has done all of the investigation on the tree and sent me a quote for cutting and mulching it.  I want it go to good use not the compost pit.  I love this tree. So I do value your opinions no need to get nasty.   Oh thank you to the professionals who did reply with positive info.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Just calling it as I see it. No more insulting than having your business being valued at zero by someone. It's like asking a builder to build you a wall in return for the leftover cement and sand. 

Well Conor it wasn’t quite like that was it. The woman came looking for advice or an option to solve her problem based on something she had been told, that information may have been incorrect but I’m sure she’s well informed now to say least. Each to their own but I guess it’s not how I would have put it across. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CarrieN said:

Oh Btw I have a professional Tree guy that has been trimming this tree for for the past 13 years.  I pay him well too.  He has done all of the investigation on the tree and sent me a quote for cutting and mulching it.  I want it go to good use not the compost pit.  I love this tree. So I do value your opinions no need to get nasty.   Oh thank you to the professionals who did reply with positive info.

Good luck Carrie with whatever option you go for. Hopefully you get some return for the timber. 

• Like 1