Free oak tree for milling and firewood

CarrieN

34 minutes ago, CarrieN said:

Thanks all. Its seems the advice is becoming more meaningful.  My tree guy quoted  4500.00. Including processing all the paperwork with the council.   I like the idea of getting a hold of the crafts workshops.  I will look into that tomorrow.     I understand the cost of the wood from the tree doesn't out weigh the work to remove it.  It would be great to give it to charity.   It looks like I can have this done for less then 4500.  Will look into that.  Thanks?

How much? It must be a lot bigger than it looks in the photos!

I’d be tempted to drive from Woking to Rugby for that amount.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

Never going to get that tree dropped for free. You might claw back 3-400 on the timber if you're lucky. It's a 1.5 to 2k min rigged dismantle imo, with plenty of fragile targets and public access. Not an easy job for any company. Many will have to charge more depending on overheads.

I reckon your sawmill man realised you were wasting his time and sent you here to waste ours instead. We run companies that provide services, not charities. Dont be so feckin miserable and pay your "tree guy" a bloody wage. Alternatively get timmy the tinker to drop it on your roof for free, see which option works out cheaper in the long run. 

Any need to comment like this when a member from here advised carrie to post here for help. I would have been 2k plus fees and  the wood to take it down and  would have milled it 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

Hi CarrieN,
Thank you for posting your free milling trunk and free firewood.
That is kind.
It is a low grade oak trunk, but still worth milling.
However it is more suitable for a "Alaskan mill" as it will inevitably have several large nails in it.
Oak of this quality is "firewood grade"
Commercially worth about £70 a ton, when felled and cut to length and stacked roadside.
Your tree would need to be climbed and there would be a lot of waste.
As others have suggested,
It appears to be a £1500-£2500 job.
[emoji106]

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CarrieN said:

Thanks all. Its seems the advice is becoming more meaningful.  My tree guy quoted  4500.00. Including processing all the paperwork with the council.   I like the idea of getting a hold of the crafts workshops.  I will look into that tomorrow.     I understand the cost of the wood from the tree doesn't out weigh the work to remove it.  It would be great to give it to charity.   It looks like I can have this done for less then 4500.  Will look into that.  Thanks?

Processing paperwork with the council? Last time I checked, a tree felling application was free!

36 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

But the tree surgeons time isn't. Ok it's not onerous, or long winded, but why should it be free. How many times do you do an application for free and get consent, only for the 'client' to use another tree surgeon.

That’s why I charge for paperwork and make a full deduction from final account

• Like 3