Free oak tree for milling and firewood

CarrieN

24 minutes ago, CarrieN said:

Oh Btw I have a professional Tree guy that has been trimming this tree for for the past 13 years.  I pay him well too.  He has done all of the investigation on the tree and sent me a quote for cutting and mulching it.  I want it go to good use not the compost pit.  I love this tree. So I do value your opinions no need to get nasty.   Oh thank you to the professionals who did reply with positive info.

Get another couple of quotes for comparison. I’ve been doing tree surgery for 36 years, and you will probably get a range of prices. Cheapest is not always best!

if you put the location then some on here will be able to look and quote. 

Edit: just seen location is Rugby. Too far from me. 

Edited by Al Cormack

Your way to far from us but I'd say we could have easily removed this tree for £1200, access ain't that bad really.
If I read your posts correct I'd say you found the cost abit of a ouch but understand if it needs to go it needs to go but feel it shouldn't just go for chip nd logs.
How about you get your man who you obviously have a working relationship to quote and get another one from another reputation company locally then see if there is any local craft groups you could donate the timber to (we hav a few ex forces ones locally) who could use the timber for a small gift return to you in the way of for example some oak chopping board made from your tree.
I might get booed for this but worth a few phone calls...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Quite easy to get the point across without resorting to hitting the send button and insulting people, ie like Jonny managed in his post !. 

I’m sure by now the woman has realised that the advice she received from the sawmill is probably incorrect to say the least. 

The sawmill the OP spoke to was me.  I did indeed advise she posted here.  However I did not suggest the felling might be free.  I said most sawmills would not want the stem but someone on Arbtalk might be interested.  

I did not express any view on likely felling cost - I didn’t even see a picture!

it is a shame one or two Arbtalk members were less than polite with her.  What was wrong with nicely pointing out it is a full days work for a highly equipped and qualified team therefore will cost at least £xxxx, and that the stem is worth no more than £xxx.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

The sawmill the OP spoke to was me.  I did indeed advise she posted here.  However I did not suggest the felling might be free.  I said most sawmills would not want the stem but someone on Arbtalk might be interested.  

I did not express any view on likely felling cost - I didn’t even see a picture!

it is a shame one or two Arbtalk members were less than polite with her.  What was wrong with nicely pointing out it is a full days work for a highly equipped and qualified team therefore will cost at least £xxxx, and that the stem is worth no more than £xxx.

Totally agree with everything you say. 

Advice given politely costs nothing and decent manners are likewise free. No offence meant in regards the comments in the last part of my initial post about yourself and any guidance you offered. 

Thanks all. Its seems the advice is becoming more meaningful.  My tree guy quoted  4500.00. Including processing all the paperwork with the council.   I like the idea of getting a hold of the crafts workshops.  I will look into that tomorrow.     I understand the cost of the wood from the tree doesn't out weigh the work to remove it.  It would be great to give it to charity.   It looks like I can have this done for less then 4500.  Will look into that.  Thanks?