Free oak tree for milling and firewood

CarrieN

We have been advised by our tree guy that our 200 year old Oak tree base is rotting and we need to bring it down as it's a hazard to the surrounding area.  It is protected and he will apply for permission to the council.  I have had a quote for removal and the costs are not affordable plus removing it will just go into a chipper.  We dont want that to happen and would rather it go to good use and made into something.  We will give to someone for free to cut down and mill.  If you know of someone please let us know.  We live near Rugby Warwickshire.  I dont know how big it is, hopefully you can tell by pics. There is easy access to the tree for cutting down. Thank you carrie

20191229_102946.jpg

20191229_102830.jpg

20191229_102808.jpg

20191229_102736.jpg

20191229_102715.jpg

20191229_102652.jpg

20191229_102655.jpg

• Haha 1

Carrie, you may find that this is 1 - 2 days of work with a lot of transporting of timber. The pay out for the timber is relatively small compared to what’s involved when removing the tree.

This kind of job offer is normally a joke that circulates through the Arb community so you may find a bit of backlash and not finding the answer you need.

• Like 12

Thanks Jonny for the information.   I did reach out to a mill that was interested but to far away.  He advised me to post here advising that this was the best place to find someone closer to me that would interested.  It is a reputable timber business in Wales that I dont think would set me up for a Joke.  Thanks Carrie

Edited by CarrieN

Nice pictures this is a big tree in a public area and your asking for someone to take it for free. There is far too much risk involved,you might be lucky and be able to sell the trunk once it has been felled, you should however regard this as a bonus, perhaps post your quote value on here see how reasonable it is

Unfortunately it’s very likely not worthwhile for a lot of people .sure though if you delivered a few nice lumps to a mill they would pay out but probably wont be a viable option for you .also this type of scenario can attract those who are under experienced so can be a false economy anyway causing all sorts of potential issues.some arborists will factor into there quote that there is a good amount of unprocessed sellable firewood there but still expensive job and don’t expect much of a discount 

It’s your tree and your responsibility if it unsafe and could cause damage or injury to other people or property.

Unless your tree man has indicated that the tree is in imminent state of collapse then being an Oak I would think it will still be standing in a couple of years, that should be enough time to save the money to get a proper/safe job done.

• Like 2

Carrie, please consider obtaining advice from an arboricultural expert who can offer a tree report with a picus test which is a non-invasive scan of the interior of the tree.

It may well be that the fungus is not advanced in it's decay and that no action is required or just a crown reduction may be a more economical option.

I recently visited 2 oaks which fell in recent high winds, both had this same fungus, it attacks the roots and butt of the tree leaving just soft cellulose fibres like wet cotton wool. 

Sadly there is almost no value in the raw wood.

Regards

Stuart

• Like 1

Never going to get that tree dropped for free. You might claw back 3-400 on the timber if you're lucky. It's a 1.5 to 2k min rigged dismantle imo, with plenty of fragile targets and public access. Not an easy job for any company. Many will have to charge more depending on overheads.

I reckon your sawmill man realised you were wasting his time and sent you here to waste ours instead. We run companies that provide services, not charities. Dont be so feckin miserable and pay your "tree guy" a bloody wage. Alternatively get timmy the tinker to drop it on your roof for free, see which option works out cheaper in the long run. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1