Tree Guard Disposal

8 hours ago, Commando said:

Unfortunately not, all stretched and split, should have been removed years ago. These ain’t the spiral tree guards, these are the corrugated plastic green ones.
It makes me mad, the trees were planted under EWGS so I guess with a view to improving the planet yet recycling centres won’t take the guards. Surely the guards used in these schemes should be required to be eco-friendly and easily recycled?
The recycling centre manager said he could take a few but not 200+. TBH that made me madder! He suggested I take them to commercial tip and weigh them in for landfill, 20 miles each way ffs.

Are they made by Tubex maybe worth ringing them and ask about recycling. 

Maybe could write too the woodland trust to ask them what there policy is as regards to the enviroment, plastics, and tree guard disposal?

A high profile  enviromental charirty with multi million pound budget should have some kind of official  planning and systems in place to clear up the mess there plantings are creating?

(They probably don't have one)

& use biodergrable ones or no always spec them if possible etc....

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

To resurrect an old thread, has there been any movement in the disposal of old tree guards? I hired someone to remove a large number of guards on Scots Pine and Silver Birch plants as I got tired of seeing them over years. They should have been removed years ago and some were deeply embedded in the trees and had to be left. I now have hundreds of these tubes collected in old 50kgs feed bags taking up space in my shed -- and I appear to be stuck with them! Any ideas? All I can think is to dispose of them surreptitiously in small quantities over time which is hardly "protecting the environment and slowing climate change". 

1 hour ago, Dry Rot said:

To resurrect an old thread, has there been any movement in the disposal of old tree guards? I hired someone to remove a large number of guards on Scots Pine and Silver Birch plants as I got tired of seeing them over years. They should have been removed years ago and some were deeply embedded in the trees and had to be left. I now have hundreds of these tubes collected in old 50kgs feed bags taking up space in my shed -- and I appear to be stuck with them! Any ideas? All I can think is to dispose of them surreptitiously in small quantities over time which is hardly "protecting the environment and slowing climate change". 

I guess the only option will be to find someone with the right waste carrier's license to take them away for you.  They are fairly light so disposal cost should be fairly low, but of course the company doing the disposal have to make it worth their while.

Ask a local cattle farmer as they bag up the silage wrap for recycling in dumpy bags.

Not entirely sure what they do but there was a thing a few years back as the same company also recycled shotgun cartridges from clay pigeon shoots.

With that many I'd be tempted to get a cheap electric chipper and reduce the volume. Okay my first thought was bonfire, but each to their own.

Edited by GarethM