Chaps or Trousers??

Witterings

Not sure whether to go for chaps or trousers and hear plus's an minus's for both, I was given a pair of Oregon trousers for Xmas but the waist sizing is ridiculously out which means I'll have to change them and will need to go up a size in waist so the leg will then be 2"'s longer than my normal trouser leg which may possiby mean the risk of having something to trip you up .... the last thing you'd ever want with a chainsaw in your hand .... the chaps have a much shorter leg.

I've read that chaps get caught in bush sometimes but are better to wear in the summer as trousers can be too hot, I've also heard trousers can be cold on the back of thw legs in winter so people end up having to wear long john's under them.

Interested to hear which people prefer and also why, mine will just be for occasional use probably 1/2 doz to a dozen times a year just for cutting up logs for a wood burner so won't be doing much climbing through undergrowth if any.

3 hours ago, Commando said:

Agree, trousers over chaps any day. The Oregon Yukon ones (Screwfix £60) are great value and fine for occasional use IMHO.

These are the ones I was given so just need to change the size, seems pretty unanimous in favour of trousers over chaps so will exchange for the next sie up and a big thank you to all for their input!!!

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Chaps aren't legal with a chainsaw anymore.
Minimum type A.

I think anything is better than nothing, I don't think you can be prosecuted for not wearing protective gear. I wear a pair of Husqvarna bib and brace over my ordinary trousers or shorts but they are a bit warm in summer. I'm only a firewood collector , I might invest in a pair of the Screwfix trousers for next year.