Jump to content
Witterings

Fueling Log Burner ... The A*a* Thread

Recommended Posts

Doesn’t mixing fuels like that increase corrosion of the burner?

I guess you would have found that out by now though. Something to do with acids being formed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the stove but the liner yes.  The sulphur in the coal produces SO2, the wood burns giving H2O, these combine to sulphuric acid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neiln said:

Not the stove but the liner yes.  The sulphur in the coal produces SO2, the wood burns giving H2O, these combine to sulphuric acid.

Sulphurous acid, it should only be a problem if the flue temperature falls below the dewpoint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we burn a 50-50 mix of both (logs only at the weekend when I am at home...) Heating only with solid fuel you either hve a cold house or are tied to the stove, with coal you can get an hour r nore beten fueling.

 

Sulphuric acid - as far as I know this will form if you get sulpher from the coal and water / steam but will only become a problem if it settles on the chimney liner - in other wrds if the chimney is too cold - otherwse it goes up the chimney. The drier the wood the better of course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

 

 

 

 

- as far as I know this will form if you get sulpher from the coal and water / steam but will only become a problem if it settles on the chimney liner - in other wrds if the chimney is too cold - otherwse it goes up the chimney. The drier the wood the better of course

Sulphuric acid H2SO4 made by dissolving SO3 in water after a complex synthesis of oxidising sulphur dioxide over catalyst (contact process)

Sulphurous acid H2SO3 made by burning sulphur compounds to sulphur dioxide and adding to water.

 

but yes it should only be a problem if it condenses as the liquid.

 

I think I have posted pictures here of a stainless (316) flue pipe perforated with a multitude of pin pricks where a condensed weak acid from burning treated wood had run back down the flue.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.