Gas is banned

donnk

almost went over to commercial (which is where the bigger bucks are) when there seemed an interminable delay to domestic roll-out.  

It meant underground piping and metering to an out building and registration as business unit (with small business rebate) more faff than I could be bothered with but...

If you can get on the commercial tariff it is a much better return.

2 or more domestic properties or a domestic & a business unit connected to the same central qualifying boiler unit = commercial tariff.  Single domestic residence = domestic tariff.  

If you can get on the commercial, that's the way to go...

Unless you’re already claiming for tax free income on wind generation....

The commercial application is also a major wank.

Also, be very careful as I understand Councils are starting to rate commercial set ups after 5 years. Certainly for wind.

After nearly seven years there’s still a great lack of absolute detail to rely upon[emoji1304]

If your in Aberdeenshire speak to Atholl at AD Heating in Fyvie. He's a pleasure to deal with and will advise the best way forward for your needs. They deal with Solarfocus boilers which I have had for the past 5 years and I have had very little problems with the boiler. Also put in the larges buffer tank you have room for.

It was Athol that put in my system. Works well, and nice guy, but no domestic grant, although mine was installed as an early adopter.

Heating with kero, and a 2250litre fill does over a 12month, driving the thick slab (and my intention when installed) "storage heater" underfloor for background heat, agumented by a woodburning stove heating the 75m2 of semi open-plan kitchen, living room and  garden room.
These rooms sit about 25-28 Deg, with a 9" solid wall between them and  the rest of the house at about 15-18 deg.
The 9" wall was needed to support the Bison units for the upstairs floors.

A fill of domestic heating oil in the U.K. usually means you pay 10% vat as against 1999 litres at 5%.....

Worth knowing

7 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

Unless you’re already claiming for tax free income on wind generation....

The commercial application is also a major wank.

Also, be very careful as I understand Councils are starting to rate commercial set ups after 5 years. Certainly for wind.

After nearly seven years there’s still a great lack of absolute detail to rely uponemoji1304.png

The fall back plan if domestic RHI was delayed any further 'was' to lay pipe to an outbuilding where the dogs are kennelled, they are Schutzhund GSDs and wholly tax deductible (vet, food, training aids etc) as a part of the business.  As such, I could have registered the kennels as a separate business and then claimed small premises business rate rebate whilst still being able to provide a business and a residential address for Commercial RHI purposes.  

It was just too much of a faff laying pipe and heat metering etc to go commercial rather than domestic.  In hindsight, on the figures alone, I probably should have done it but time & effort got in the way.  

I’d go with an oil burner, and auto correct [emoji6]

I kept my oil boiler in situ for a back up, and for when I returned home when I couldn’t be arsed to sort out kindling, logs, and lightning the biomass.

Even though I never got a subsidy payment for biomass, I’d reckon on the complete payback on the biomass install over the last seven years.

Seven/eight bedroom Scottish manse cost at least 4 k/year to heat previously. 24 k to install. 7X4= 28K + sweat.

Still under warranty and wood for free. Subsidy off wind turbine as a domestic consumer = tax free subsidy so win win[emoji1303]

• Like 1

The fall back plan if domestic RHI was delayed any further 'was' to lay pipe to an outbuilding where the dogs are kennelled, they are Schutzhund GSDs and wholly tax deductible (vet, food, training aids etc) as a part of the business.  As such, I could have registered the kennels as a separate business and then claimed small premises business rate rebate whilst still being able to provide a business and a residential address for Commercial RHI purposes.  

It was just too much of a faff laying pipe and heat metering etc to go commercial rather than domestic.  In hindsight, on the figures alone, I probably should have done it but time & effort got in the way.  

I did do a commercial application through limited B&B business (sub£7500/pa to ensure tax free income)and they needed proof of 50 +% of floor space available for business use. A lot of work as well as additional generation meters. It was approved but I declined the subsidy as I was concerned it would compromise my domestic consumer subsidy payments over a wind turbine. The whole subject is an absolute minefield, with no absolutes!

Kennels may be less than the 50% threshold?
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

I did do a commercial application through limited B&B business (sub£7500/pa to ensure tax free income)and they needed proof of 50 +% of floor space available for business use. A lot of work as well as additional generation meters. It was approved but I declined the subsidy as I was concerned it would compromise my domestic consumer subsidy payments over a wind turbine. The whole subject is an absolute minefield, with no absolutes!

Kennels may be less than the 50% threshold?

I didn’t get that far down the commercial route. So far as I understood it had to 2 or more domestic properties or 1 domestic / 1 business. Didn’t realise the business had to be equal or greater than 50% of the domestic. Don’t matter anymore, ‘‘tis in the past. 

Interesting to hear you qualified but declined - now that’s an illustration of just how unnecessarily complex and counter productive these so-called ‘incentives’ can be....

18 hours ago, scbk said:

An interesting bit of kit is the sunamp thermal battery, works like a gel handwarmer

WWW.SUNAMP.COM

Sunamp’s unrivalled Heat Battery technology delivers market leading thermal energy storage to homes, businesses and...

Not sure if the money side works in it's favour though.

There's someone I do work for, has a large solar panel array and a tesla battery, at times he can be totally self sufficient in electricity, his main source of heating is oil. (he gets the good feed in tariff)

We live in an old stone house with no central heating and little insulation. Would like to put in central heating, but can't decide which route to go down, we don't have the funds to gut the place.

I would love solar pv, there's plenty of south facing space to have a simple ground mounted array here but the last time I looked the feed in tariff has been reduced to virtually nothing, meaning the panels might struggle to pay themselves back?

You dont need a solar array to make a powerwall viable.

You get a time of day electric tariff and the powerwall makes it so you only every pay 7p kw/h for all your energy use instead of the 15p+ normal price by charging itself when its cheap or free and powering the house when its not.

• Like 1