Gas is banned

donnk

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I would of thought the idea with Hydrogen is when we have an excess of renewable energy (which has happened a few times lately and will only happen more) the excess can be used to split hydrogen from water. Why not use what is basically free energy

yes I know, but I'm not sure its the most efficient way to store energy.

13 minutes ago, neiln said:

yes I know, but I'm not sure its the most efficient way to store energy.

But that is presumably the idea with mixing it with natural gas. We already have the storage infrastructure in place. 

Whats your take on the best storage of energy? 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Slightly off topic, but I was on a stag do recently. One of the guys was an engine engineer boffin, and another was high up in Enterprise car rentals. They were both convinced that Hydrogen should be the future for car propulsion rather than electricity. There are a couple of technical challenges to overcome first though.

Hydrogen is by far the most abundant element in the universe so you would think it had quite a lot going for it.

I think the problem with electric cars is, there isn't enough raw materials on planet earth to make enough batteries.

Aberdeen has 2 hydrogen filling stations

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scbk said:

I think the problem with electric cars is, there isn't enough raw materials on planet earth to make enough batteries.

Aberdeen has 2 hydrogen filling stations

How many cars etc to use them ?

i do think hydrogen is the way forward as there is more than enough of it. It’s production and storage that’s the bigger problem 

Edited by Richard 1234

10 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

Haven't got a sccobies, there's a whole fleet of hydrogen busses, council vehicles etc

I was talking to someone the other week, he works off shore (abroad) and was saying they're developing deep-sea machines to mine battery materials from a few miles down on the seabed

20 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

i do think hydrogen is the way forward as there is more than enough of it. It’s production and storage that’s the bigger problem 

I remember seeing a hydrogen fuel cell bus working in London about 15 years ago but they seem to have given up on this now. I read somewhere that Sweden has a fleet of these buses and they are all scrapped now or in museums.

14 minutes ago, scbk said:

Haven't got a sccobies, there's a whole fleet of hydrogen busses, council vehicles etc

I was talking to someone the other week, he works off shore (abroad) and was saying they're developing deep-sea machines to mine battery materials from a few miles down on the seabed

I’ve seen stuff about that too. Testing now I think to see how much “dusty” water it makes and how far it spreads.

a lot of sea life needs the clean water on the bottom  so it may be a no go

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

I remember seeing a hydrogen fuel cell bus working in London about 15 years ago but they seem to have given up on this now. I read somewhere that Sweden has a fleet of these buses and they are all scrapped now or in museums.

I have just looked it up, it seems London still has 10 hydrogen powered buses and has just ordered 20 more.  Still seems a bit slow considering how long ago they first had them.