Gas is banned

donnk

I was one of the first domestic rhi claimants and installed a pellet boiler in 2013. To be honest I can't wait until my 7 years are up, then the boiler will be ripped out and a gasification boiler will go in. I have access to free wood and when I no longer need to store pellets will have even more space to store the wood.

This will cut out the middle man and be less paperwork every year.

The intall cost me about 7k all those years ago and I have had my money back and that again in rhi payments.

Edited by Taff855
Forgot to add cost
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Taff855 said:

I was one of the first domestic rhi claimants and installed a pellet boiler in 2013. To be honest I can't wait until my 7 years are up, then the boiler will be ripped out and a gasification boiler will go in. I have access to free wood and when I no longer need to store pellets will have even more space to store the wood.

This will cut out the middle man and be less paperwork every year.

The intall cost me about 7k all those years ago and I have had my money back and that again in rhi payments.

Its a gassifier I'll be getting as well. Free Logs so cant be bad. :D 

7 minutes ago, Taff855 said:

be less paperwork every year.

What paperwork are you burdened by Taff?  I have an annual online declaration of continued ownership / serviceability of the system.  5 minutes work per year...

I would be tempted to shift from pellet to wood burning with a larger storage capacity on the next upgrade - but that has more to do with personal circumstances rather than being unhappy with the pellet system.

Yeah that's the form I know it takes 5min to do but every year... and I have been visited twice so they could inspect my install. My plumber has to then come to my site to show. I don't mind but it's well getting tedious now. 

I'm wondering what will happen next when I change the boiler over. Will I be able to claim a new rhi or the next equivalent and do I want to? If the cash back is good then I will have too but I can't see it being as good. That and I have my own wood and want to use my own fuel now and process the material as little as poss. So gasification is the answer in my book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Its a gassifier I'll be getting as well. Free Logs so cant be bad. :D 

SHT TDA by any chance?  If so, I have one and have had it for the last 2.5 years or so.  Get around 6p/KwH based on my EPC.  I reckon that what I'm saving in oil (our house was heated by an oil boiler and AGA previously) and with the RHI and my free firewood (around 4 acres I 'borrow' from) I'll break even after 12 years, so anything afer 13 years is free heating!  25Kw boiler, 2000l thermal store, 4 bed detached house.  Burns once per day in the winter (sometimes with extra logs) and once every 7-8 days in the summer for DHW only.  I'm very happy with it so far.  My 1 tonne of pellets I bought, I reckon will last me about 7 years - use for self ignition only but eventually I'll build a pellet store, but the pellet feed kit and live on pellets only when I'm too old/tired to chop/split logs etc.  Should need 6-7 tonnes per year.

3 hours ago, Taff855 said:

Yeah that's the form I know it takes 5min to do but every year... and I have been visited twice so they could inspect my install. My plumber has to then come to my site to show. I don't mind but it's well getting tedious now. 

I'm wondering what will happen next when I change the boiler over. Will I be able to claim a new rhi or the next equivalent and do I want to? If the cash back is good then I will have too but I can't see it being as good. That and I have my own wood and want to use my own fuel now and process the material as little as poss. So gasification is the answer in my book.

I’ve heard of folks getting a visit / audit but never had one myself (so far.)

I only use a ton of pellets a year but that’s DHW, 1 hr burn most (but not every) day during winter. Hot water is solar thermal in summer and heating is log burners in the hoose in winter. 

If you can start again with a new system / new tariff after 7 years I wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade to log gasification + larger thermal store. 

Definitely one to watch. 

Its a gassifier I'll be getting as well. Free Logs so cant be bad. [emoji3] 
If your in Aberdeenshire speak to Atholl at AD Heating in Fyvie. He's a pleasure to deal with and will advise the best way forward for your needs. They deal with Solarfocus boilers which I have had for the past 5 years and I have had very little problems with the boiler. Also put in the larges buffer tank you have room for.

Since I am currently ripping out a logwood gasifer, a shitty SolarBayer, with a 2200l buffer tank, a couple of comments.

(i) The biggest issue with the Solarbayer was getting it lit, look for the boilers with the third door, or middle door  for lighting purposes, or even the expensive/swish gas/electric ignited ones.

It was the time needed=lost  to get the small starter fire to kindle and ember down, BEFORE adding the full firebox loading of logs, GERRRR.

(II) Take a long hard look at how one accesses and cleans the firetubes, some are BLOODY tedious/akward.

(iii) Definately go over sized with the buffer tank, for wintertime space heating.

(iv) Seriously consider fitting solar panels for summertime DHW, i.e. do not fire up the logwood gasifer at all.

(V) Be prepared to shoot the mostly incompetent/uncaring  grant-driven installers, or the semi-trained chimpanzees who run the grant scheme.

Despite being retired, with all the time in the world, I do not intend to refit a logwood gasifer, especially with the post RHI Debachle here in NI. SIGH!

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, difflock said:

Since I am currently ripping out a logwood gasifer, a shitty SolarBayer, with a 2200l buffer tank, a couple of comments.

(i) The biggest issue with the Solarbayer was getting it lit, look for the boilers with the third door, or middle door  for lighting purposes, or even the expensive/swish gas/electric ignited ones.

It was the time needed=lost  to get the small starter fire to kindle and ember down, BEFORE adding the full firebox loading of logs, GERRRR.

(II) ?? Take a long hard look at how one accesses and cleans the firetubes, some are BLOODY tedious/akward.

(iii) ?? Definately go over sized with the buffer tank, for wintertime space heating.

(iv) ???? Seriously consider fitting solar panels for summertime DHW, i.e. do not fire up the logwood gasifer at all.

(V) ??????Be prepared to shoot the mostly incompetent/uncaring  grant-driven installers, or the semi-trained chimpanzees who run the grant scheme.

Despite being retired, with all the time in the world, I do not intend to refit a logwood gasifer, especially with the post RHI Debachle here in NI. SIGH!

??